Does Zara go with Vivienne for twins?

(38 Posts)
Linguaphile Thu 20-Jun-13 23:09:14

Still looking for a name for twin 2. I really love the name Zara, and despite reservations because of the clothing shop I keep coming back to it. Somehow I think it sounds stronger and more fresh with Vivienne Gray (twin 1's name) than do our other choices like Felicity and Philippa.

Thoughts? Middle name possibilities?

dianettey Fri 21-Jun-13 17:43:31

I think if you're going with Vivienne, you need a sort of equal name to go with it.

Eg Vivienne and Pippa wouldn't work, as it looks a bit like you're trying to prescribe personalities for them.

What about Emmeline, Rosalie, Elizabeth or Clementine instead?

I think twins named Clem and Viv would be lovely.

lottiegarbanzo Fri 21-Jun-13 17:48:36

I'd think fashion if it was Vivienne and Zandra!

Was also thinking Rosemary or Connie - Constance?

Linguaphile Fri 21-Jun-13 18:00:52

So it sounds like this might not be the best option! I' not too fussy about the spelling, but do prefer the less frilly version--just didn't consider it as I thought it was the male version.

We'd probably call her Vivi for general use, if that makes a difference.

Don't want fashion twins! I guess I liked the combo of unusual consonants and don't really think of Zara as being particularly modern, but don't want something that sounds overly trendy--definitely want to veer more toward classics.

thegreylady Fri 21-Jun-13 21:41:03

I knew twins who were Zoe and Zara smile

MineOrk Fri 21-Jun-13 21:56:29

Think it's a really good combo if you don't want something more matchy like Rosaline, Marianne, Emmeline etc. Makes them sound like quite a lively handful!

lottiegarbanzo Fri 21-Jun-13 22:35:37

ooh, I know, Venetia! (am not serious, unless you've suddenly decided you want matching names).

MustafaCake Fri 21-Jun-13 22:39:08

Zoe and Vivienne are great names and I love how they are not all twee and matchy-matchy!

raisah Fri 21-Jun-13 22:52:31

Zahara& Zara are both Arabic names meaning flower. They both come from the same root & look very similar when written in Arabic. Both are lovely and would go well with Vivienne.

lifesgreatquestions Fri 21-Jun-13 22:58:59

I like those names, but I did presume you were really into fashion!

HoneyandRum Sun 23-Jun-13 14:13:34

My mother was a Vivienne and I think it is a beautiful name. I also think ignore everyone - choose the names you like. Once they are here you will think "She is SUCH a Zara and she is SUCH a Vivienne"! Always seems to happen that way...

vess Sun 23-Jun-13 14:30:08

I think they do go together nicely, especially since Vivienne is likely to be just Vivi most of the time.

Or how about Vita, if you like them to be of similar length?

sleepingbeautiful Sun 23-Jun-13 16:19:32

I like them both but I don't think they go together very well. Vivienne is more dramatic/poetic sounding. Zara is more quirky/exotic sounding.

Vivienne sounds like it should go with another long French sounding name (Madeleine, Emmeline, etc), or something more 'lady of the lake' (Eleanor, Yseult, Gwendoline/Gwendolyn (Guinevere/Gwynhyfar (sp?) Is probably a step too far lol)), or at least somewhat floaty scarf poetical (Cecilia, Valerie, Ophelia, Miranda, Beatrice)...

CruCru Sun 23-Jun-13 17:48:29

Have you thought of Zahrah? It's pronounced the same but is from the Koran, making it more of a "proper" name to go with Vivienne. You also remove the shop connotation. Think it means flower or blooming flower.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now