If I like Anna...?

(78 Posts)
learnermummy Tue 18-Jun-13 10:26:14

My baby girl is due any day now and we are still debating names. I think my favourite so far is Anna. DH thinks it's OK but maybe a bit dull. So if I like Anna does anyone have any similar suggestions. I already have two boys - Will and Toby and new baby's middle name is likely to be Jane. Thanks!

MortifiedAdams Tue 18-Jun-13 16:48:46

Girls I know called Anna have siblings Grace and Melanie.

I love the name Anna but our surname is Can...... so Anna Can.... sounds beyond daft. We went for Meg.

foxbasealpha Wed 19-Jun-13 12:13:28

How about Annika, Anya (or Anja) or Anouk? All variations of Anna. (I'm thinking along the same lines!)

glastocat Wed 19-Jun-13 12:15:53

Anna is lovely. My oldest friend (as in longest not age) is Anna, and she is lovely.

Floggingmolly Wed 19-Jun-13 12:21:31

If you like Anna, have Anna. It's really lovely.

hellymelly Wed 19-Jun-13 12:33:58

I love Anna, I think it is so classic and actually quite underused. I didn't use it as my good friend, called Anna, had died not all that long before dd was born and it felt a bit too raw to use, but now I wish I had.

TalkativeJim Wed 19-Jun-13 12:37:28

Anna is amazing. A classic, and sophisticated, not boring.

Josephine
Sophie
Juliette
Beatrice

have the same feel to me

learnermummy Wed 19-Jun-13 13:43:51

Thanks all, he came home last night and said he might be warming to Anna after all grin

miemohrs Wed 19-Jun-13 13:51:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EGnHJsmum Wed 19-Jun-13 13:55:38

hannah is lovely and I know you said that your surname begins with H but its more the overall sound. I have a harriet (are we allowed to say our surname?) I going to anyway! and our surname is Holdsworth so the sounds are har hoo (as in santa) which isn't as bad as I wanted Hope but that was hoo hoo (really santa lol) !!

vitaminC Wed 19-Jun-13 14:00:42

How about Alexandra, if you like Anna?
It has a similar timeless, elegant feel.

Alternatively:
Annelise
Elisabeth
Lucy
Harriet
Julia

Our DD (3.5) is Anna and we love it. It was a late entrant to our names discussion, but so pleased we chose it. Timeless, elegant and easy to learn to spell! grin

NoRainNoRainbow Wed 19-Jun-13 14:06:43

I have an annaliese as a friend. Beautiful name, always shortend to Anna.

Katnisscupcake Wed 19-Jun-13 14:06:59

My DNiece is Annaliese. They call her Annie for short but you could go for Anna instead?

I'm not a massive fan of Anna, but mainly because there was a girl at my primary school called Anna who was horrid to me sad. I imagine that some names cause emotional flare ups in other people for similar reasons... smile

learnermummy Wed 19-Jun-13 14:30:17

EGnHJsmum our surname begins with Ha, so Hannah (or Harriet)would be Ha Ha .....

Redblackcar2 Thu 20-Jun-13 16:31:42

Anna is lovely and much prefer it to Hannah.

kelda Thu 20-Jun-13 16:33:20

Louisa
Alexandra

ovenbun Thu 20-Jun-13 17:01:09

how about Joanna? quite unusual now but pretty.

kelda Thu 20-Jun-13 18:08:05

Joanna is a good suggestion. I think there was a thread discussing Johanna recently, but unless you have a germanic connection, I think Joanna is better.

raisah Thu 20-Jun-13 22:49:16

Anna is the best name EVER!

VBisme Thu 20-Jun-13 22:53:43

I knew a girl at school called Anastasia, we thought it was the height of coolness.

LittlePandaBear Fri 21-Jun-13 13:31:14

Maybe a variation on Anna:

Marianna
Rosanna
Pollyanna
Leanna
Susannah

BikeRunSki Fri 21-Jun-13 13:38:25

My name is Alice, and the "Who the f* " song was slightly annoying for about 5 mins about 20 years ago!

ComtessedeFrouFrou Fri 21-Jun-13 14:01:27

Ahem! You can tell your DH from me that he is simply wrong and I take very great offence at the suggestion that Anna is a dull name. I think he'll find that it is elegant, classic, strong and suited to all sorts of jobs and walks of life wink

Is the Ha at the beginning of your surname a short Ha (las in Happy) or a long Ha (as in Half)?

The latter would work better IMO, but either is probably fine.

A fabulous name - your DD will thank you smile

FetaCheeny Fri 21-Jun-13 19:16:13

Anna Is a gorgeous name.

2lilgirls Fri 21-Jun-13 20:29:51

Ella?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now