Cosmo

(79 Posts)
pygmy Mon 20-May-13 12:40:14

Thoughts please.

CityGal29 Mon 20-May-13 17:20:17

Fabulous!

evamummy Mon 20-May-13 17:35:18

"I would snort and if I heard someone calling out "Cosmo" at the park."

I think that says more about you than a person called Cosmo tbh. I actually like the sound of Cosmo and find it a refreshing change from all the popular boys' names. To me, it sounds masculine, cool and a little quirky.

5madthings Mon 20-May-13 17:38:23

I like it, there is a little Cosmo at toddler group, he is a sweetie and it suits him smile

GloryHunter Mon 20-May-13 17:41:28

I do like the name but it does make me think of the Benny Hill character Cosmo Smallpiece grin

Yes it does evan.

It says I'm a down to earth person from a working class background who prefers solid and old-fashioned names to roaringly upper class and pretentious ones.

hifi Mon 20-May-13 17:53:13

reminds me of Les Dawsons cosmo smallpiece.

hifi Mon 20-May-13 17:53:43

reminds me of Les Dawsons cosmo smallpiece.

LynetteScavo Mon 20-May-13 17:54:52

I also prefer Cosimo.

MrsBungle Mon 20-May-13 17:56:59

I find it a pretentious name.

DesertOrchid Mon 20-May-13 17:59:43

I love Cosmo. Great name, a saint's name, easy to say, easy to spell. What's not to like?

Cosmo Brown in Singing in the Rain is a lovely namesake, and if your surname is as simple as Black I would absolutely go for it. There's also a guy called Cosmo Wilson who does lighting for rock concerts... So you don't have to be a Duke to use it.

Raaraathenoisybaby Mon 20-May-13 17:59:59

I quite like it but its one of those names that shriek middle class alternative in a new conformist, post ironic kind of a way. Is your other child called Jago?

Meringue33 Mon 20-May-13 18:01:54

I like it
Tho cuter on a little boy than full grown man
Cosmo Jarvis springs to mind but I quite like him
Could you give him a "normal" middle band like James or something he could use if he decides he hates Cosmo when he is older?

BoraBora Mon 20-May-13 18:09:12

LOVE it. Cosmo Black is a fabulous name.

Secondme Mon 20-May-13 18:21:16

With your surname, grin Cosmo Black. Very spacey, reminds me of the solar system or milky way, things like that. Like it though.

KittenofDoom Mon 20-May-13 18:44:04

Reminds me of Sirius Black in HP! What about another brother called Pluto?
<has probably gone too far there>

DebsMorgan Mon 20-May-13 19:42:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MorphandChas Mon 20-May-13 19:56:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cosmothedog Mon 20-May-13 22:58:10

My dog's name is Cosmo, full name Cosmo Kramer.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Tue 21-May-13 03:46:48

'Roaringly upper class'?! grin

Well, only in the UK where people are preternaturally obsessed with such things. In other countries, it's ... a name.

Cosmo Kramer for me, too. And the whole deal was, of course, that he kept his name hidden and went by Kramer because he - seemingly unembarrasable, if you know the character at all - was so embarrassed by it.

It's not a name I would ever use, but -<meh>- it's not that bad.

Cosmo black sounds like a stage name to me.
Personally I would use it as a middle name/ nick name and give him a 'normal' name for day to day usage in case he becomes a boring banker etc rather than a showman.

It's the kind of name that forces a personality from people's preconceived perceptions iyswim.

Amy106 Tue 21-May-13 05:08:18

No, sorry. Not a fan.

sleepywombat Tue 21-May-13 05:28:45

sounds v pretentious to me, but I dislike all those 'o' boys names (inigo, milo, ivo, otto, cato etc).

sleepingbeautiful Tue 21-May-13 05:32:16

Sounds a bit try-hard to me.
Also the name immediately makes me think of the trashy magazine with endless "how to have the best sex ever" articles.

sleepingbeautiful Tue 21-May-13 05:35:42

Also 'Cosmo Black' sounds like a magician doing the entertainment at a party, so he may have to learn how to saw ladies in half in order to live up to this.

MomsNetCurtains Tue 21-May-13 05:40:10

Cosmo Black is a terrific name! A good name for a lawyer/something high powered and likely to be in a Jilly Cooper novel. Tall, thick dark hair...

A memorable name. I like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now