Before I trawl through the Google-verse, anyone heard of Gage?

(21 Posts)
KittenofDoom Sun 19-May-13 16:02:03

A gage is another name for fruit like plums. As in greengage.

RunRabbit Sun 19-May-13 13:43:49

I've only ever heard of Americans with it as a given name TBH.

MoelFammau Sun 19-May-13 02:32:29

I taught a Gage in the USA. He was 11 and very polite.

ItsallisnowaFeegle Fri 17-May-13 19:12:03

Ooh yes! I love Gage. Wanted it for DS but DP vetoed it hmm

I actually just suggested this on another thread.

Excellent name!

RemoteControlledChaos Thu 16-May-13 21:18:53

ok I read that as Gaj. Which is horrible! So no, I don't like it (but I'm pg and easily confused)

GW297 Thu 16-May-13 19:22:19

I have taught a Gage. I thought his parents had made the name up!

ChunkyChicken Thu 16-May-13 00:15:27

Strangely enough, the fact that the name comes from Stephen King/neuroscience history seems very apt for the Gage I taught grin

And its not a name I'd choose either tbh (for a boy or girl) but was curious, having only met one before.

peeriebear Wed 15-May-13 21:55:52

Gage Creed from Pet Sematary here too. It's a no!

Springforward Wed 15-May-13 20:51:28

IIRC Phineas Gage was an 19thC railway worker who got shot through the head with a metal bar in an industrial accident. He survived with massive frontal lobe injuries and became a neuroscience case study. Not particularly an association I'd want for a child's name, personally!

hawkmcqueen Wed 15-May-13 20:48:21

I stand corrected ;-)

No - because the children can't spell it.

hawkmcqueen Wed 15-May-13 20:43:15

'cemetery'

I worked with a Gage about 12 years ago. He was about 7years old then. he used to go red and sweaty every time he thought about exercise and had a pet brick he carried around with him. He shoved a sequin down his brother (tile's) ear and the mom came in and plucked it out with a pair of tweezers!
Not a name I would ever choose! smile

AvrilPoisson Wed 15-May-13 20:15:58

I only know 1 child named Gage, and he was named after the Pet Sematary character hmm

No, just No!

Only evil afterwards - nice little boy before. sad

Yes, Pet Sematry. Deffo no. Evil little dude in a burial suit.

Pet Sematary here, too. Gage is the main character's 2 year old son who is tragically killed on the road outside their house. The description of his dash towards the road and his father's attempt to catch him has stayed with me for 20 years. Oh, and then Gage comes back from the dead and kills everyone with a scalpel.

CalamityKate Wed 15-May-13 17:34:46

Pet Sematary.

Sad enough to make me howl.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Wed 15-May-13 17:28:37

I was just going to say, Pet Sematry! NOOO!

shellsocks Wed 15-May-13 17:26:36

Was a baby called Gage in the Stephen king novel Pet Cemetery who came to a sticky end so defo no no for me!

ChunkyChicken Wed 15-May-13 16:35:03

I was thinking about unusual names at toddler group this morning after I thought I'd heard another Mum call their child Gage. Although could have been Cain or similar..

Now, I have taught a Gage (boy) a few years ago, so its not the first time I've heard it, but I have no idea whether this is a traditional name, made up or whatever.

It's pronounced with a hard G like game, gain, gay & age as in page, age etc.

Any ideas of its origins? Ta smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now