Oscar as a girl's name....?

(69 Posts)
Snoopies Wed 15-May-13 00:51:13

We have just had a gorgeous baby girl and we have called her Oscar. Are we making a bad decision (our parents think so)?? The name derives from Os-Cara so we hoped we could get away with it.

evamummy Wed 15-May-13 09:32:39

According to the 1990 United States Census, Oscar ranked as the 151st most popular male first name, the 4,120th most popular female first name and the 13,443rd most popular last name. (Just googled this).

Seems more and more boys names are being used for girls - I know a female Elliot, a female Georgie and a female Jamie. Not sure I personally would choose such names, but if you love Oscar that much and have already named her, I'm sure people will quickly associate it with your lovely daughter! Congratulations!

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Wed 15-May-13 09:36:32

I'm with your parents. Life's hard enough for goodness sake.

xigris Wed 15-May-13 09:42:04

I like the name Oscar but I do think you're setting her up for a lot of confusion in life. I once knew an American lady called Shaun (not Shauna) and while she quite like her unusual-for-a-female name, she was always assumed to male until people met her iyswim

expatinscotland Wed 15-May-13 09:44:53

Yes, you're making a mistake. It's fine to be stupid and ridiculous in your own life, but when you visit that on a child, it's not on.

tilbatilba Wed 15-May-13 09:46:02

with your parents here

ShowOfHands Wed 15-May-13 09:48:45

My niece has a popular name which is almost exclusively used for boys. People do a double take every single time.

I shouldn't imagine people will judge her for it. She'll be bigger and better than her name, as all children are. People will think things about you though. Depends whether you care.

Snoopies Wed 15-May-13 10:20:59

www.ourbabynamer.com/Oscar-name-popularity.html

It appears we're not alone making a decision like this!

ComtesseDeSpair Wed 15-May-13 10:29:46

I'll go against the grain and say I quite like it. I think the trend in the US for girls to be given masculine or traditionally male names (I know of American girls called Felix, Ryan, Shane, Sloane, Parker and Elliot) will catch on further in the UK, anyway.

I have a name which is unisex but apparently far more commonly used for boys (Leigh). Sure, sometimes people are surprised that I'm a woman if my name has preceded me. Occasionally people will say in a laugh-y wake, "Oh, we didn't realise you were a woman!" and we'll all have a chuckle. After that, everyone knows I'm girl-Leigh, and it ceases to be note-worthy. Mostly people don't even comment. To be honest, there aren't that many situations in my life where initial assumptions made about my sex from my name matter much. I mean, if I turn up for a job interview and the panel is expecting a bloke they might be a bit thrown but it's easily corrected (and always interesting to ponder whether I'd have got the interview if my name was Leah or Leanne). I've yet to be at the centre of a terrible, earth-shattering hoo-ha because somebody has mistaken me for a man and the situation absolutely cannot be remedied.

FingersCrossedLegsNot Wed 15-May-13 11:35:19

You must be joking.....why do you hate your dd?

kiwigirl42 Wed 15-May-13 11:44:42

no. no no no no no. awful. bet she is adorable though. give her an adorable name to match

harleyd Wed 15-May-13 11:48:00

this cant be real?

SoupDragon Wed 15-May-13 11:50:48

It appears we're not alone making a decision like this!

The line for girls is on 1. One.

It's a stupid name for a girl.

polkadotsrock Wed 15-May-13 11:53:36

Em, I would want to poke my parents in the eye if they did this to me. But if you like it and have already done it then what we think is largely irrelevant. Congrats though

5madthings Wed 15-May-13 11:54:04

Well i love the name oscar, i have a child called oscar myself...he is a boy tho, not sure about using it for a girl.

FoxyRevenger Wed 15-May-13 11:56:04

Well Oscar's a nice name. For a boy. It's as if you named her Steve or something.

Another vote against.

My DS1 has an ambidextrous name (Jocelyn, known as Joss) and occasionally people think he is a girl (the library), or that they have misheard and he is a Josh. There are a few (not many I agree) male Josses out there (think Joss Acland), but can't think of a single girl Oscar. It is a bit odd.

EuroShaggleton Wed 15-May-13 11:57:11

I'm with your parents. I like it as a boy's name. Why not call her Oscara, if that is what you really mean?

BeanoNoir Wed 15-May-13 11:57:36

Stevie is a nice girl's name though. I quite like your choice.

saffronwblue Wed 15-May-13 12:01:29

My mother's name is Noel (Christmas baby) and it has caused her many tedious problems because people assume she is male. Recently she was kept waiting for hours at a doctor's because he glanced into the waiting room, expecting to see a man so did not call her in...

Do you really want her name to become your DD's defining characteristic?

ItsYonliMe Wed 15-May-13 12:04:48

I think OP is taking the piss to be honest. No posting history and a link which shows that Oscar is not a girl's name.

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Wed 15-May-13 12:07:21

As bad as that chicken of the sea bimbo calling her baby girl Max.

MrsApplepants Wed 15-May-13 12:07:41

I love Oscar, but for a boy. It really isn't a girls name. Sorry but I think you've made a mistake

kipplin Wed 15-May-13 13:02:07

People will get 'used' to it eventually, but I have to admit that I would assume she was a boy if you introduced her at a baby group. You're going to have to dress her in pink ;-)

Really like cara though... And congratulations on your new baby!

IAteTheCake Wed 15-May-13 13:34:47

Coming from a family with unusual names... I wouldn't personally go for this option. It will be a lifetime of explanations and misunderstandings... sorry OP...

TheSecondComing Wed 15-May-13 13:38:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now