IYO what are the Mumsnet 'Favourite' Names

(99 Posts)
farmersdaughter Tue 14-May-13 20:16:07

Just really interested to see what every thinks they are!

evamummy Thu 16-May-13 10:38:30

I really like most names mentioned on this thread - I find them classic, elegant, slightly old fashioned and not (yet) overused. So I too must have 'mumset' taste smile.

There's a good description of name trends in Freakonimics. The authors describe how baby names rise and fall in popularity - baby names move through the population from a higher socioeconomic level to a lower level. The authors found "a clear pattern at play: once a name catches on among high-income, highly-educated parents, it starts working its way down the socioeconomic ladder." When the name is adopted "en masse," then "high-end parents begin to abandon it," and the whole cycle repeats itself with a new batch of names.

Hence we (mumsnetters) are always looking for underused names that initially might appear a little 'posh'.

ScrambledSmegs Thu 16-May-13 10:58:21

Really?

Then I predict a rise in the popularity of Aphra and Waldo.

<heads off to William Hill>

notso Thu 16-May-13 11:04:45

Girls names;
Clementine,
Clemency,
Evangeline,
Persephone,
Romilly,
Beatrice,
Nancy,
Violet,
Iris,
Clarissa,

Boys names;
Henry,
Christopher nn Kit,
Milo,
Otis,
Tobias,
Luca,
Thomas,
James,
Ludo,
Wilfred,
Taliesin,
Rueben,
Quentin,
Clement

notso Thu 16-May-13 11:05:22

I know an Atticus, he is three and very cute!

rachel234 Thu 16-May-13 11:19:54

I love most of these names! Must have 'musnet taste' too then. Agree with Freakonomics that 'posh' names tend to move 'down the ranks' such as they become more mainstream.

Here are my favourites (incl my kids' names)
Florence
Beatrice
Tabitha
Antonia
Aurelia
Clementine

Arlo
Sebastian
Quentin
Alexander
Benedict
Magnus

thegreylady Thu 16-May-13 11:31:56

The thing is that whenever you ridicule a name it can be perceived as ridiculing the person who has that name.
Many mnetters have dc with names that are routinely derided on here and it must be so hurtful to see your child's name held up as 'fugly' or 'chavtastic' etc.
Let's have a care and stick to favourite names and leave the others alone.
The only name I routinely criticise is my own smile

notso Thu 16-May-13 11:39:16

I think you need a very thick skin to read let alone post on any baby name threads.

I have concluded from opinions on here I am trying too hard, I am a chav, my DC will never be PM or HCJ and there names will date.

I don't care.

rachel234 Thu 16-May-13 11:45:43

If people have the urge to riducule or make fun of others' names, especially when not asked!, then it says more about them than the name bearer imo.

And if some people find certain "rediculously old fashioned and fugly to those who are not eccentric middle class types" then that is their choice too imo. I just smile and think to myself that I might not like their tastes either smile.

JennyEnglish Thu 16-May-13 11:59:06

I honestly think Beryl is a pleasing sound. I prefer it to say Beatrice, although I do like the name Beatrice, but if you just listen to the sound without any preconceived ideas of what a Beryl is probably like, I don't know how anybody could really say it is fugly!

My daughter isn't called Beryl, but I think she does have a mumsnetty name. Rare in our real lives, she's the only one at her school, at her dancing, at her drama, on our road, but it's definitely a common mn name.

Tigresswoods Thu 16-May-13 12:00:14

Quin. Someone always suggests Quin.

JennyEnglish Thu 16-May-13 12:03:21

lol at Persephone, Maud, Atticus, I agree with Happyhorse. I think I'd rather be called HappyHorse

rachel234 Thu 16-May-13 12:11:34

I'm not that keen on the sound of Maude personally, but I love Persephone and know one whose nickname is Sephie - love it!

everlong Thu 16-May-13 12:13:39

Beryl is beyond hideous.

ScrambledSmegs Thu 16-May-13 13:50:56

Beryl is a mineral. When it's coloured it is a semi-precious stone. The most well known variant is Aquamarine.

I'm not keen, but then my gran had a friend called Beryl that I didn't like. She insisted on kissing us on the mouth. Wetly. EEUGH!.

ScrambledSmegs Thu 16-May-13 13:51:49

Balls. Its.

Bloody phone autocorrects me all the time.

JennyEnglishTwo Thu 16-May-13 16:25:50

Would you dislike Meryl with the same certainty?

sleepingbeautiful Thu 16-May-13 17:12:39

JennyEnglish, I agree about Beryl. It sounds like a frumpy old lady name, but if you really try to shut away any associations it is actually quite a nice sound semi-precious stone name. At least no worse than Pearl.
Maud(e) I have tried the same thing, but it just will not sound nice. Just a mix of mud and bored to make swampy brown colour to me.

ScrambledSmegs Thu 16-May-13 17:49:38

Mmm. I think I do dislike Meryl too. Mainly because it sounds so close to Beryl - if someone with a cold said it it would sound exactly the same.

But, trying to shut out my memories of non Auntie Beryl, yes i think it is a pleasant word to say. More so than Meryl actually.

ScrambledSmegs Thu 16-May-13 17:51:10

Maud is nice. Makes me think of Tennyson

Come into the garden, Maud.
For the black bat, night, has flown

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 16-May-13 18:02:22

Both of my DDs' names are on here several times. They are in their teens... shock

I love the sound of names that most people hate. (Including my DP for most so I'll never get to use them)
Maude,Mildred,Agnes,Edgar,Enid,Thora,Claude,Barnaby,Errol...

<shrug>

Horses for courses 'n all that...

looki Thu 16-May-13 21:43:45

I don't particularly like or dislike the more popular MN names but find some of them staid and perhaps trying too hard to be perceived in a certaiin way, so much so I wonder if the MNs who use these names even particularly love them.

There is also such a small pool of such names amongst the thousands of names available to use?

JennyEnglishTwo Thu 16-May-13 23:50:13

I didn't know that Beryl was a mineral, semi-precious sstone. Oh it deserves a big come back!

abasicname Fri 17-May-13 13:28:56

On here the trend seems to be for boring, old fashioned names. Old lady/man names, and every thread seems to have the same names over and over again.

2monkeybums Fri 17-May-13 13:44:33

Vivianne Matilda Clara

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now