Madeleine?

(75 Posts)
CruCru Mon 29-Apr-13 20:55:32

What do you think?

MyTushTingles Tue 30-Apr-13 23:10:47

First thought is Madeleine McCann, so sad. It's a beautiful name but I couldn't use it because of that.

Gomez Tue 30-Apr-13 23:13:52

I have a Madeline. Or Maddie the Baddie when appropriate grin.

Heart7 Wed 01-May-13 08:04:26

I adore madeleine but McCann does spring to mind and it is such a sad story. I also really dislike 'maddy', or' 'mads' which I think she would inevitably become at school. I am pg at the moment and am planning on using it as a middle name if my baby is a girl. I kind of think if you have reservations about the name for whatever reason then it's best not to go with it.

TotesAmazeGoats Wed 01-May-13 11:23:49

I love the name. It was first choice for DD, (who at the last minute was named to honour a family member after a sudden loss). I would definitely use it for a future DD2 should she come along. I used to worry about the McCann connection, but others didn't and at the end of the day, that little girl did nothing wrong. I agree with thurlow, people wouldn't look twice at a little Fred or Rose now!

Go for it OP, I just picture a lovely little French girl (think petite filous advert!)

sonnieboo Wed 01-May-13 11:25:21

I really don't like the short form Maddie - sounds like Mad and quite harsh. The full name, Madeleine, is pretty though, especially with a French pronuncation (emphasis on the -eine).

NotTreadingGrapes Wed 01-May-13 11:26:30

I really don't get the whole "couldn't use it because of McCann" unless you happen to be Kate McCann's best friend or relative or something.

Smacks of whackjob grief haggery to me. Not even Kate and Gerry themselves would have an issue with someone using the name Madeleine I bet.

It's a lovely name, OP, classy and timeless. smile

bigbluebump Wed 01-May-13 11:28:49

I like Madeleine but agree that Maddie isn't the most elegant nickname and is open to Mad jokes. But I agree that the McCann connection shouldn't put you off if you love the name.

CruCru Wed 01-May-13 11:38:14

I like it a lot and it is one of the few names I've come up with that DH hasn't hated.

NinaPatel70 Wed 01-May-13 11:40:37

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

evamummy Wed 01-May-13 11:43:05

I too think Madeleine McCann.... hadn't really thought about the Mad in Maddie but do now!

everlong Wed 01-May-13 11:48:07

'I blame the parents'

What for?

everlong Wed 01-May-13 11:53:21

I cannot comprehend the fuckwittedness of some people.

It's not the name of a child murderer or some such heinous crime.

It's the name of a little girl who was taken.

How can you even think there is some terrible connotation.

We seriously considered it for dd2 and I asked the same question here. Consensus was lovely name, use it. Which it is. Rather sorry we didn't sometimes.

isitsnowingyet Wed 01-May-13 12:16:34

Love it smile

Elkieb Wed 01-May-13 12:57:09

Apologies if you think I am a fuckwit but asking a large group of people what they think and then getting upset about it is an act of fuckwittedness all in its own right. Do get over yourself.

MiaowTheCat Wed 01-May-13 13:06:39

I love it - the thing that put me off it wasn't the McCann connection (that will fade over time anyway and I doubt there are many names out there that haven't got some association with them - plus I think marking a name out as some kind of "forbidden" or "tainted" name is unfair on other kids in a similar cohort who already HAVE that name)... it was the spelling of it - I could just see it being one that was constantly being misspelt and annoying to grow up with because of that.

flakjacket Wed 01-May-13 13:11:07

Great name. I have one too! Funnily enough she's nearly exactly the same age as Madeleine McCann and whilst it was a bit freaky (I felt like a kidnapper) calling her in public (she too is blond and had a similar haircut!) for a while, that has long since worn off. Nobody I know has ever said they associate the name.

everlong Wed 01-May-13 13:21:27

I don't care whether people like the name or not. We all have different taste etc.
But to oppose to a name because a child with that name disappeared is just plain stupid. It makes no sense.

Madeleine Mcann was an innocent little girl with a beautiful name.

everlong Wed 01-May-13 13:22:43

Oh and I didn't ask what people think.

suebfg Wed 01-May-13 13:50:58

"But to oppose to a name because a child with that name disappeared is just plain stupid"

I'm not opposed to the name but I personally wouldn't choose that name for my child because the first thing I think of is what happened to Madeleine McCann. So why choose a name with connotations when I could choose a name that has no connotations at all.

lljkk Wed 01-May-13 14:05:33

I know several (at least 3) under 10, it's just an ordinary name to me. No more tainted than Jessica, Holly, Ian, Mary, James, Thomas or Robert.

MyTushTingles Wed 01-May-13 14:12:54

Just what suebfg said. I think calling people fuckwits about this is totally unnecessary.

Still18atheart Wed 01-May-13 14:14:14

I really like it.

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Wed 01-May-13 15:23:37

My little sister (age 9) is a Madeleine. I do like it. She gets Mads a bit, but not exclusively. Spelling is a bit of a pest but no more so than a lot of names.

Maidlin/Maidlyn
Magdalen/e

CheeseStrawWars Wed 01-May-13 15:36:42

My first association is with the cakes! But I think it is a lovely name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now