Madeleine?

(75 Posts)
CruCru Mon 29-Apr-13 20:55:32

What do you think?

It's a lovely name but I can't help thinking McCan as soon as I read it sad

suebfg Mon 29-Apr-13 20:59:43

The first thing that comes to mind is Madeleine McCann but I wouldn't let that put you off a name if you love it.

idiot55 Mon 29-Apr-13 20:59:54

yes Im the same.

CruCru Mon 29-Apr-13 20:59:58

Yes, I wondered about that. Do you think that will be most people's first thought?

chattychattyboomba Mon 29-Apr-13 21:00:29

Love it. DH wouldn't let me use it along with all the good names but i think it's a great name.

suebfg Mon 29-Apr-13 21:04:28

There is a Madeleine at my son's school and I don't think of Madeleine McCann when I see her/hear of her. I think it's just the name in isolation that makes me think of Madeleine McCann.

hackneyzoo Mon 29-Apr-13 21:14:58

I love the name, it was my Mum's name and DD1 has it as a middle name. I didn't really think about the Macann association until I saw it mentioned on here.

CockyFox Mon 29-Apr-13 21:19:20

I think it is a lovely name. I also think you can probably find a horrible connection for most names but once your child has that name people don't associate it with anything other than your child.

Elkieb Mon 29-Apr-13 21:19:28

I wouldn't, because of the association. I do live in Leicester and a colleague is close to the mccanns, so there are reminders of her everywhere. I work at the same hospital as her father so her face greats me most days.

katolla Mon 29-Apr-13 21:24:34

It's a lovely name, and her peer group won't know the association so by the time she's older it won't matter.

everlong Mon 29-Apr-13 21:26:59

Association?

What to an innocent little girl that disappeared.

I think it's a beautiful name and would use it.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 29-Apr-13 21:28:20

Pretty name, prefer it to Madison, not fond of nn Maddy.

Can see why people make the association with M McCann of course and respect other MNers' views.

To my mind she was a lovely innocent little girl, so if anything it should be honouring her and reclaiming the name, not letting the tragedy make us obliterate her name. Hope that doesn't offend.

everlong Mon 29-Apr-13 21:33:09

Good post donkey

Elkieb Mon 29-Apr-13 21:38:37

Donkey- I agree with your post on so many levels- I just personally would never name my child Madeleine. She should be honoured but until she is found the mystery will never be solved.

Thurlow Mon 29-Apr-13 21:46:59

I love it. Top of the list for any DD2. I agree with donkey about 'reclaiming' the name. If you do want to consider it in relation to the McCanns, they obviously thought it was beautiful name and I'm sure they would hate for it to not be used because of the association with their daughter.

(I actually find it very odd that people won't use names that are related to people who have been in the news for some sad or tragic reason. Fred and Rose are very popular now, aren't they?)

PoppyWearer Mon 29-Apr-13 21:52:48

What Donkeys said. Lovely name!

rachel234 Mon 29-Apr-13 22:16:34

Madeleine, pronounced the French way, is lovely.

Maddie, in English, sounds harsh and like a nickname for someone Mad!

Kelly1992 Tue 30-Apr-13 10:42:01

I also thought Madeleine McCann.

I love Madelyn or Madalyn - Me personally.

everlong Tue 30-Apr-13 11:08:28

Madelyn and Madalyn look made up to me.

parabelle Tue 30-Apr-13 11:18:41

Beautiful name - I have one.

MrsBodger Tue 30-Apr-13 11:22:45

One of mine is a Madeleine (same age as Madeleine McCann) and I know quite a few others - I don't think anyone makes a particular association. Problems with the name are everyone spells it differently (Madeleine, Madeline, Madelaine) and the inevitable 'mad' jokes. But I think it's a beautiful name and I'm really glad we gave it to her.

wigglesrock Tue 30-Apr-13 12:35:20

I think its a beautiful name, it floated about for my dds although was never used. There are connotations to all names, Ben is a very widely used name.

toffeelolly Tue 30-Apr-13 13:02:39

Love this name, it was my grandmother's name and was going to be my dd's name but my brother beat me to it. Love it.

ShadowStorm Tue 30-Apr-13 22:20:16

I love this name.

I wouldn't be put off by the McCann connection - as others say, there are connotations to just about every name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now