Names that are bad with regional accents.

(109 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 25-Apr-13 16:52:53

Where we live Violet become Vaa'let which doesn't sound very nice at all. DH is Aussie so some names were a no go...such as Esme....became Is-My.

AThingInYourLife Fri 26-Apr-13 08:51:56

Fleur is nice in a French accent.

oinkment Fri 26-Apr-13 08:55:03

My inlaws from Manchester call my nephew Willy-errrm.

PeterParkerSays Fri 26-Apr-13 09:01:33

Nina, in an Estuary / Essex accent - Neenaw, bit like a child're version of a police siren smile

littleginger Fri 26-Apr-13 09:23:57

forgetmenots I've always said Orla the wrong way I had no clue it was wrong! I'm intrigued now as to how the Scots/Irish say it. Is it like orrrola???

LinghamStyle Fri 26-Apr-13 09:41:11

A former colleague was called Graeme and I pronounce it Gray-am. Other people said Gray-ham, Grame and Gree-am.

Graeme called himself Gray-am so I was right!

LinghamStyle Fri 26-Apr-13 09:42:04

Oh yes, Pearl! Can't say that either.

SantanaLopez Fri 26-Apr-13 09:50:13

I can't say Lily in my Glaswegian accent. It's the 'i'. Lully!

Jaskla Fri 26-Apr-13 09:50:57

My Granddad can't pronounce any name beginning with H, so Harry becomes 'arry, and Hannah is Anna which is problematic considering we know one of each and never know who he is referring to!

I also know a Carole that changed her name as she couldn't stand how it was pronounced by people with a broad Yorkshire accent (she said people called her Cad-ull).

hazelnutlatte Fri 26-Apr-13 09:53:58

My Welsh friend Claire liked her name until she moved to Wigan and it became Clurr instead - now she has us in the habit of switching to a Swansea accent when we say her name as it sounds so much nicer!

forgetmenots Fri 26-Apr-13 10:08:10

Littleginger it's not wrong it's just different accents! We roll the R so it's ORRla, no 'awl' sound smile

But we can't say Carl because of the same rolling R!! smile

littleginger Fri 26-Apr-13 11:30:29

Ahhh I see silly me. I've just actually sat here and practiced with my dodgy irish (it sounds neither northern or southern so I wont specify!) accent and I totally get you. Sounds much nicer!

MolotovCocktail Fri 26-Apr-13 14:17:35

Brummie accent here, so any long vowel sounds tend to sound longer than they should: Grace becomes 'Graaayce', Nathan becomes 'Naaaythun'.

MolotovCocktail Fri 26-Apr-13 18:22:08

Oh, and a name such as Violet becomes 'Voi-lut'.

orangepudding Fri 26-Apr-13 18:32:37

Agree that Fleur sounds pretty bad in most accents, Amelie also sounds awful in many UK accents which is a shame as it's a beautiful name.

MolotovCocktail Fri 26-Apr-13 21:08:14

Oh yeah, Amelie with a Brummie accent is 'Am-uh-loi'

<Says a very proud Brummie> grin

madaki Sat 27-Apr-13 05:39:55

Grace in a brummie accent. To me (Londoner) it sounds like 'Grice' except dragged out so Griiiiiice.
Love the accents for everything other than that name.

Dawn - in my scottish accent it's Don.

JollyPurpleGiant Sat 27-Apr-13 22:37:41

How else would you pronounce Dawn??

I know a Luke who insists that Luke and look should be pronounced differently. I have no idea what he's talking about. They sound the same to me.

I think it is supposed to have a longer "aww" sound in the middle - in my accent the "aw" sounds a very clipped "o"

madaki Sun 28-Apr-13 05:49:20

Well if I said it, Dawn would be pronounced to rhyme with mourn (or door-n) whilst don would be like long (but without the g obviously)

CookieB Sun 28-Apr-13 05:54:09

In Glasgow Darren becomes Darn. In America Craig turns out Creg.

Demi or Debbie type names in Yorkshire. Sound more like Demeh and Debeh. Just sound thick for some reason.

JollyPurpleGiant Sun 28-Apr-13 06:25:42

Thanks madaki smile

but there is no "r" in Dawn confused

madaki Sun 28-Apr-13 14:55:28

But the r in mourn (and in fact door) aren't pronounced as such, in some accents.

In a london accent or and aw are homophones... Not the same in all accents, but that's the point if this thread. It's not right or wrong, just different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now