Arianwen?

(34 Posts)
aufaniae Mon 22-Apr-13 11:19:05

I love it but not sure if it's a bit of a mouthful for everyday life?

chipmonkey Sun 28-Apr-13 23:32:12

Arwen is actually a real name and was around before LOTR but I suppose LOTR made it well-known and it probably will always have elf-associations. But I do prefer it to Arianwen.

MortifiedAdams Sun 28-Apr-13 23:33:22

Eirwen? Means snow white I believe.

MrsTwgtwf Sun 28-Apr-13 23:39:12

Many congratulations, aufaniae! Arianwen is a wonderful name IMO, so pretty, and I've never heard it before. I used to work with a Ceinwen. I imagined it pronounced as you said, so no association with aryan at all. "Wen" seems very common in Welsh names, lovely sound.

fuzzywuzzy Sun 28-Apr-13 23:42:53

Its in the snow spider I think that is the name of the snow spider. I think its beautiful

lagoonhaze Sun 28-Apr-13 23:46:54

Love it but agree hard for some to spell etc.

Anwen and arwen are lovely

As is Cerys but then im bias.

MrsTwgtwf Sun 28-Apr-13 23:49:36

There was a thread here a few months ago about Arrietty (from The Borrowers). Arianwen would've been a good alternative, although lots of people liked Arrietty. Fond memories of the books. Your dd could shorten Arianwen to Ann/Annie/Anwen; although she may not want to!

REally wish I'd thought of it!

harryhausen Mon 29-Apr-13 00:06:24

Where I grew up (north wales) 'Arian' is used to mean 'money' in welsh everyday language. Although I vaguely remember its true meaning is 'silver'. It would really put me off though.

I much prefer Eirwen or even Arwen.

spiderlight Mon 29-Apr-13 14:03:06

I love it! I'm Welsh and don't think it's too much of a mouthful, but Anwen on its own is also lovely. Llongyfarchiadau!

quertas Mon 29-Apr-13 20:16:18

I love it! But an alternative would be Adwen if you're unsure. I wanted to call DD Adwen but DH was having none of it hmmgrump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now