Using hypothetical favourite future child's name in Starbucks order

(31 Posts)
travellingbird Fri 19-Apr-13 15:46:50

I've tried this a few times, and am wondering if anyone else has done this to see if the name you like feels funny or wonderful or get's your gut instinct going when it's said in relation to you, by a stranger when they write it on your coffee cup? They also say things out loud like, "A Tall Mocha for (insert baby name instead of adult name), here", as well.

DP and I talk baby names rather a lot, but it's nice to have a different view ... or is this all just terribly weird and embarrassing?
Latest coffee-name made me beam...

weeblueberry Fri 26-Apr-13 11:43:54

Fairly sure since I'm a regular in my local Starbucks they'd look at me like hmm

grin

OkayHazel Thu 25-Apr-13 23:48:22

Friends and I regularly use Harry, Ron and Hermione smile

TeamEdward Thu 25-Apr-13 23:11:21

I always want to say my name is Spartacus...

iliketea Thu 25-Apr-13 23:02:11

Why not? I tried out names by standing at the bottom of the stairs and shouting "full name, get down here this minute" smile. Starbucks is a sweeter way of trialling names smile

Great idea.

In the first week of the new system someone famously gave Voldemort as his coffee name. When the barista picked up the cup, he faltered, then shouted out "He who must not be named". Legend.

looki Thu 25-Apr-13 22:28:30

I have been known to do it (embarrassed).

travellingbird Thu 25-Apr-13 21:55:22

The coffee-cup name was Violet, by the way smile.

craftycottontail Mon 22-Apr-13 20:42:02

LOVE this idea, it's going to get me out of a dilemma between two possible names! Only trouble is that it's the boys names I'm struggling with so I'm going to look quite odd in Starbucks...

Anjou Mon 22-Apr-13 17:15:06

Awesome, awesome, awesome idea!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 22-Apr-13 12:00:55

Aww aufaniae thought you were keen on Carys or Cerys or Romy..?
Hope DD is settling and you feel up to going out and about very soon.
Good luck!

aufaniae Mon 22-Apr-13 10:38:09

Inspired! I like your style OP.

I boycott Starbucks on principle but am ever so slightly tempted to go just to do this grin (am currently trying to name 4 day old DD!)

I hate my kids names until they are about four months old and feel ridiculous saying them anyway so this wouldn't help me in the slightest, great idea for other people with other weird name problems grin

simplesusan Sun 21-Apr-13 22:58:53

Bizzare.
Are you actually pregnant?
If not then you need to get out more, and not to Starbucks.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sun 21-Apr-13 19:15:41

That's a really good idea.

I once went through a phase of homaging my favourite sitcom characters through Starbucks coffee - Jacqui, Darlene, Crystal, Roseanne etc... Unfortunately I always go to same branch so they cottoned on.

Malkofish Sun 21-Apr-13 19:12:25

I think this is both a bit mental and a bit genius. Going to try it myself!

Unami Sat 20-Apr-13 23:34:26

That's a great idea. We don't think we want to try out names with friends and family in case they put us off any names we love, but there are a few that we want to pass the 'laugh-test', or the smirk-test, or the eh?-test. Getting a stranger to call it out in this way is a great idea.

I'm totally going to be doing this.

HoneyDragon Sat 20-Apr-13 18:02:59

I just made dh name them. That way I had some one to blame.

butterflybuns Sat 20-Apr-13 18:00:14

Pretend to call them in for their tea. If you feel a plonker then name needs to be changed.

Yonionekanobe Sat 20-Apr-13 17:50:59

I am going to do this! Genius!

whyno Sat 20-Apr-13 11:16:45

Brilliant. Now where's my nearest Starbucks?

Snazzynewyear Sat 20-Apr-13 10:34:57

Good idea!

Ooh, I should try that! 3rd baby....still no idea!

Thirstysomething Fri 19-Apr-13 22:36:16

I pretend to shout it across school playground/street.

Metarie Fri 19-Apr-13 20:57:38

I shouted up and down the stairs grin

MummyBurrows Fri 19-Apr-13 20:51:34

FWIW I'd really like to know what name made u beam too... smile xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now