Wish we hadn't said anything...

(66 Posts)

Hey there! I'm 26+3 today and so we know we're having a little girl and decided to come up with a few names we like and we absolutely LOVE the name Alice. The thing is, we didn't want to keep it from the family, but now I wish we had, because the MIL sings that bloody song who the f* is Alice every time I see her! I've tried explaining (in the nicest way possible) that I don't want people telling us where else they've heard any names we've chosen, and that not many people under 35 have ever heard this song! I know none of my friends had!! Feeling really down now because I really love that name and so does my OH but I'm starting to get hormonal annoyed whenever we are around her. Any suggestions to stop me saying something or clipping her around the back of the head would be appreciated sad

Demelzajane Fri 19-Apr-13 05:57:55

You could start singing Donald where's ya troosers!! Sorry that's petty but as soon as I read that post is all I could think of lol!

I love the name Alice too - so stick with it :-)

bootsycollins Thu 18-Apr-13 23:02:22

Tell mil she's inspired you with the Mackenzie track suit idea but you prefer Adidas grin

DanniiH Thu 18-Apr-13 10:05:52

Oh so she has been told before how annoying she is! Unbelievable! Honeysuckle is another good one to tell her. I'm trying to think of any other song names you could use! I'll have a think. x

We have a plan in place! OH is going to ask DM one more time not to sing and after that i have no mercy haha! Im thinking anything goes to make her skin crawl grin

DanniiH Thu 18-Apr-13 09:13:09

Ha ha love the idea of a decoy name! Maybe something like Harmony Petunia, she'll go to town on it! I love Alice it's a really pretty name! What a piece of work singing that about a baby though, she sounds like a nightmare! I'd feel like using violence if I were you but calm and calculated could win out here! Good luck not killing her! x

Ps we had similar problems when choosing names for our first child, he's a boy but before we knew that we loved the name Astor for a girl but someone's said what? Asda?! Annoying! Liked Samson someone said it sounded like Samsung! So what! x

bootsycollins Thu 18-Apr-13 09:07:19

By the way Alice is beautiful thanks

bootsycollins Thu 18-Apr-13 09:06:56

What's mil's name? I'm sure we could come up with a filthy foul mouthed less than complimentary song featuring her name for you to chant at her grin

Why the fuck would anyone want to stress out a pregnant lady? Least of all the pregnant lady whose carrying your grandchild? Mil's a dick wad.

Alice is a lovely name.
I think the idea of feeding MIL with a name she'll really hate as the new alternative is genius. Particularly if its a name that will make her feel a bit excluded. eg saying your mum suggested X and you've decided it's the new name. I bet she'd be v jealous that the other grandmother named your child.

Ahahah she doesn't like Margaret, its both my Nana's names so might tell her were naming after two of our favourite people ;)

Another one here with an Alice who has never had the song sung at them. No one has ever mentioned it.

Pollykitten Wed 17-Apr-13 23:30:49

Please tell her your daughter will be called Granola!

Moominsarehippos Wed 17-Apr-13 23:24:20

No - she'd probably like that. Is "Mad Old Bat" a song?

Jellykitten1 Wed 17-Apr-13 23:21:07

Moomin Grandma We Love You?? (St Winifred's Choir) grin

Moominsarehippos Wed 17-Apr-13 23:07:35

I'm wondering if her name has a suitably irritating song? Or maybe a grandma theme?

You guys have cheered me up no e i was worried she'd en up putting me off it but i think im just going to wind her up subtly wink such a bad daughter in law... Haha

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 17-Apr-13 14:54:53

A cunning plan Jellykitten1 got it now. smile.

Jellykitten1 Wed 17-Apr-13 14:42:58

Donkeys: It was me smile and I wasn't being kind! It's actually a manipulative strategy.

The thing is, the OP wants MIL to stop singing it without a confrontation.

Suggesting that they have all been enjoying it is a manipulative sweetener, as if she just said "I find it annoying, so stop it" (or words to that effect) MIL could act all wronged "it was only a bit of fun! <huff>" and it turns into a drama.

MIL will find it incredibly difficult to find a "latch" to get annoyed about if OP presents it sweetly. (is the idea).

thegreylady Wed 17-Apr-13 14:09:17

I am 69 and have never heard that song! Alice is a really gorgeous name-just go for it smile

DC2 has a name that is a song.

We nearly rejected it because I knew my mother would sing the song.

In the end, after DC2 was born, DH told them what the name was and said that under no circumstances was the song ever to be sung in my presence, laying it on a bit thick with the hormone bonkersness although it wasn't just that.

So far she has complied, but I've seen her start automatically and then stop herself.

It's bloody rude of your MIL, and her son needs to Have A Strict Word.

Alice is a beautiful name. I adore it, and the song is one of the last associations I have with it.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 17-Apr-13 12:15:12

By suggesting you've all been enjoying the little joke with her she won't feel singled out

Someone suggested this upthread, it is a kind thought but otoh if MIL is the only one chanting this song it really shouldn't be up to OP to pretend they've all had a laugh about it and it doesn't hurt when actually, it is irritating/upsetting/infuriating.

"Go for something unusual" okay, tell her you and DP have decided to call DD whatever day of the week she's born on.

Haha, the problem is, she quite seriously said 'you could call her Mackenzie and then we can buy her the Mckenzie tracksuit' ??!! I think she'd like it if I told her I was going to call my baby Princess Tallullah Pineapple or something equally ridiculous, might just say we're going to call her Kevin. Especially if it is a girl. See what she has to say to that!

Chocoflump Wed 17-Apr-13 12:00:18

Play her at her own game, tell her yes, you will go for something unusual, you've always loved the name Coconut. gringringrin

Chocoflump the really silly thing is her son is called Alfie and it frustrated her whenever people sung that around her!! She gave me a ring earlier and asked about names again so I tried avoiding the subject and she said 'why don't you go for something unusual, all the names you like are boring' shock just to let you know, her sons are called Alfie, Joe and Jacob hardly the rarest names! Gah, I might just block her calls and lock the doors wink

Chocoflump Wed 17-Apr-13 11:14:16

Love the name Alice. Next time she sings 'who the f* is Alice' just reply 'she is your granddaughter and this is wearing thin.'

Can sympathise about people always Singing songs about your child's name- my DS is called Alfie and people are always singing 'what's it all about Alfie' to him. First time it happened, I was in a shop and he was about 7 months old. I was talking to him and used his name and a little old lady must have overheard and ce over singing it to him. I'd never heard this song before and thought she was nuts, so nodded politely and hurried away! Went to a cafe and put him in the highchair and a staff member then started singing it to him. I seriously thought i had been set up and there were secret cameras filming me- I was half expecting ant and dec to come up to me gringrin

Since then I've heard the original, and he's now 3 and we must have heard random people singing it to us at least 50 times.

My 7 month old daughter is Ruby- the younger generation song kaiser chiefs 'Ruby Ruby Ruby' and the older generation sing 'Ruby don't take your love to town.'

Next child I should just call Bob- there's no songs about a Bob is there?! wink

LittleBearPad Wed 17-Apr-13 10:21:09

Alice is lovely and your MIL is an old bat and bloody rude. Ignore her or tell her not to be so rude about her granddaughter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now