Wish we hadn't said anything...

(66 Posts)

Hey there! I'm 26+3 today and so we know we're having a little girl and decided to come up with a few names we like and we absolutely LOVE the name Alice. The thing is, we didn't want to keep it from the family, but now I wish we had, because the MIL sings that bloody song who the f* is Alice every time I see her! I've tried explaining (in the nicest way possible) that I don't want people telling us where else they've heard any names we've chosen, and that not many people under 35 have ever heard this song! I know none of my friends had!! Feeling really down now because I really love that name and so does my OH but I'm starting to get hormonal annoyed whenever we are around her. Any suggestions to stop me saying something or clipping her around the back of the head would be appreciated sad

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 17-Apr-13 14:54:53

A cunning plan Jellykitten1 got it now. smile.

You guys have cheered me up no e i was worried she'd en up putting me off it but i think im just going to wind her up subtly wink such a bad daughter in law... Haha

Moominsarehippos Wed 17-Apr-13 23:07:35

I'm wondering if her name has a suitably irritating song? Or maybe a grandma theme?

Jellykitten1 Wed 17-Apr-13 23:21:07

Moomin Grandma We Love You?? (St Winifred's Choir) grin

Moominsarehippos Wed 17-Apr-13 23:24:20

No - she'd probably like that. Is "Mad Old Bat" a song?

Pollykitten Wed 17-Apr-13 23:30:49

Please tell her your daughter will be called Granola!

Another one here with an Alice who has never had the song sung at them. No one has ever mentioned it.

Ahahah she doesn't like Margaret, its both my Nana's names so might tell her were naming after two of our favourite people ;)

Alice is a lovely name.
I think the idea of feeding MIL with a name she'll really hate as the new alternative is genius. Particularly if its a name that will make her feel a bit excluded. eg saying your mum suggested X and you've decided it's the new name. I bet she'd be v jealous that the other grandmother named your child.

bootsycollins Thu 18-Apr-13 09:06:56

What's mil's name? I'm sure we could come up with a filthy foul mouthed less than complimentary song featuring her name for you to chant at her grin

Why the fuck would anyone want to stress out a pregnant lady? Least of all the pregnant lady whose carrying your grandchild? Mil's a dick wad.

bootsycollins Thu 18-Apr-13 09:07:19

By the way Alice is beautiful thanks

DanniiH Thu 18-Apr-13 09:13:09

Ha ha love the idea of a decoy name! Maybe something like Harmony Petunia, she'll go to town on it! I love Alice it's a really pretty name! What a piece of work singing that about a baby though, she sounds like a nightmare! I'd feel like using violence if I were you but calm and calculated could win out here! Good luck not killing her! x

Ps we had similar problems when choosing names for our first child, he's a boy but before we knew that we loved the name Astor for a girl but someone's said what? Asda?! Annoying! Liked Samson someone said it sounded like Samsung! So what! x

We have a plan in place! OH is going to ask DM one more time not to sing and after that i have no mercy haha! Im thinking anything goes to make her skin crawl grin

DanniiH Thu 18-Apr-13 10:05:52

Oh so she has been told before how annoying she is! Unbelievable! Honeysuckle is another good one to tell her. I'm trying to think of any other song names you could use! I'll have a think. x

bootsycollins Thu 18-Apr-13 23:02:22

Tell mil she's inspired you with the Mackenzie track suit idea but you prefer Adidas grin

Demelzajane Fri 19-Apr-13 05:57:55

You could start singing Donald where's ya troosers!! Sorry that's petty but as soon as I read that post is all I could think of lol!

I love the name Alice too - so stick with it :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now