Muireann?

(16 Posts)
AThingInYourLife Sun 21-Apr-13 14:58:14

Love Muireann, but prefer the Irish pronunciation.

squoosh Sun 21-Apr-13 14:52:47

I'd go for Willow.

Muireann is a bit too Legion of Mary for my taste.

FaerieQueen Sun 21-Apr-13 13:38:06

Muireann is lovely. Wouldn't worry too much about the spelling and pronunciation. Usually people only have to be told once and if someone can't be bothered to get it right then that is their problem. All the important people in her life will know her name and say it properly.

Eskino Sat 13-Apr-13 06:39:10

I love the sound of it but written down it just looks like a Muriel/Marion hybrid.

Willow is gorgeous

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Sat 13-Apr-13 06:30:55

I guess it depends whether you think people will generally struggle with pronunciation, and/or whether that might bother you.

I adore the name Merryn, which isn't too dissimilar, for what it's worth. smile

mathanxiety Sat 13-Apr-13 05:12:20

I'm Irish and all the Muireanns I know pronounce it Mwir-en. This is correct phonetically for Irish. Don't know about Gaelic though.

Its Mur as in her hootshoot smile

tarantula Fri 12-Apr-13 23:55:47

I would have loved to use the name Muireann (know a few people at home in Ireland with the name) but we pronounce it M-wir-an and dp just couldn't say it properly and I didn't think many other people in England would either.

Rhubarbgarden Fri 12-Apr-13 23:43:57

Willow. The other is too much like Maureen.

HootShoot Fri 12-Apr-13 23:35:13

Is it pronounced mur - rhymes with her, or mur - rhymes with pure?

BinarySolo Fri 12-Apr-13 23:32:24

Bugger. And as if to prove my point I've misspelt it!

<sits in corner wearing dunce hat>

YoniTrix Fri 12-Apr-13 23:31:08

Have you considered Mirren. That's what I wanted to name DD, but DH wasn't keen.

Similar sound, but less likely to be horribly mispronounced.

BinarySolo Fri 12-Apr-13 23:30:57

I think people will struggle with the spelling and pronounciation of Muireanne so my vote goes to Willow.

MildDrPepperAddiction Fri 12-Apr-13 23:28:39

Muireann. Its beautiful. This was on my list for DD. I love it.

Good luck with your pregnancy and baby!

thermalsinapril Fri 12-Apr-13 23:27:31

I vote Willow.

I love this name (pron. mur in ) with its celtic connections as I am scottish and I also love Willow, Im 16 weeks pg and convinced i'm having a girl, find out for sure next week. Which is nicer, please do not comment neither as its not helpful.

Thanks in advance smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now