Jess for a boy?

(147 Posts)
OkayHazel Sat 30-Mar-13 02:02:16

I really like Jess and Jesse, but are there any longer names that these two derive from?

Feel like I just don't know enough about this name!

usualsuspect Mon 01-Apr-13 13:51:35

Its a great name for a boy.

I love it.

But then I'm not a typical suburban mother wink

usualsuspect Mon 01-Apr-13 13:56:30

There were so many different names at my childrens school, the name Jesse for a boy wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

Bu TBF my children's school was not full of boys called Oliver, William and Thomas.

noddyholder Mon 01-Apr-13 13:59:55

I am really surprised it is even being discussed

ProphetOfDoom Mon 01-Apr-13 14:13:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Moominsarehippos Mon 01-Apr-13 14:16:56

I was teased - well bullied - at school (primary, so about 7 or 8) because of my name. It was turned it something with sexual connotations by older kids, which of course was picked up by classmated with glee. I was the youngest in the class and didn't have a clue. My grandmother filled me in with the details and I felt mortified and humiliated. Imagine being called 'cunt' at school because your mum decided on 'a nice name'.

It didn't last all that long, but it took me years to 'get over' it. Can you really imagine dreading people asking you your name? Even as an adult, in anticipation of 'so do people call you...' and having to laugh it off with 'only once and only if they want a black eye'?

My other sister gets 'well, that's a stupid name?' to hers. People can be bloody awful with regards to names.

KittenOfDoom Mon 01-Apr-13 15:44:30

The name that springs to mind is Frances (Fanny).

Moominsarehippos Mon 01-Apr-13 16:21:04

Faaaaar more vulgar than fanny.

Regina? I'm intrigued now! Fanjolina?

Moominsarehippos Mon 01-Apr-13 16:27:44

Either would be an improvement! My parents were both brits, native engish speakers... They should've known better.

Are you pussy galore?? grin

Roshbegosh Mon 01-Apr-13 17:21:59

Glaikit, are you one of those school yard bullies? Mind your business, you don't need to know if Moomins is reluctant to say it. I think you are being insensitive.

lockets Mon 01-Apr-13 17:43:18

Moominsarehippos Mon 01-Apr-13 17:44:22

No worries. I now am veeery good at karate and kick boxing (no links there) and could give her a really nasty chinese burn!

ProphetOfDoom Mon 01-Apr-13 17:50:51

Coconutty Mon 01-Apr-13 18:27:34

Well I still really like it.

How is Jude so popular (yuk) and yet people are saying that Jesse is a girls name?

survivingwinter Mon 01-Apr-13 18:33:20

I think it's a very cool name for a male.

Funnily enough I don't like Jess or Jessica for girls, maybe because I intrinsically think it sounds more like a male name.

Anyway, I am just so bored of hearing the same few names used for boys over and over again at the moment I see no problem in standing out from the crowd a little bit!

Jeez! Wind yer neck on Rosh! I take offence to you calling me a bully.

Moomins, I apologise if I came across as insensitive, I was just genuinely intrigued. And I still am if I'm honest because I cannot fathom what you might be called giving the clues you posted. But I shall have to continue to live not knowing.

I can't believe I may have to start avoiding baby names now as well as AIBU sheesh! grin

OkayHazel Mon 01-Apr-13 19:41:18

I cannot believe how bitchy this thread got!

noddyholder Mon 01-Apr-13 21:54:45

Thank you lockets he is a lovely gentle sweet boy and cool too! His name just suits him and I am soooo glad I chose it even if some think I was selfish

SomethingOnce Tue 02-Apr-13 08:42:15
SwedishEdith Wed 03-Apr-13 01:18:08

Justine has a Jesse doesn't she? Still my favourite boys name and this thread make me want to have one all the more.

MidnightMasquerader Wed 03-Apr-13 04:37:43

I really like it as a boys name - I worked with a male one once, very suave, cool type. He pronounced (or at least preferred) it Jess.

At the end of the day, plenty of people do choose it for their boys. Maybe they're all making a dreadful mistake and condemning their sons to bullying purgatory... hmm.

Or, y'know... not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now