Is Rose a boring middle name?

(52 Posts)
flowerygirl Fri 29-Mar-13 19:21:08

Love it but has it become the Jane/Louise of this generation?

flowerygirl Fri 29-Mar-13 21:42:02

My middle name is Jane and although I don't like it, it follows well after my first name which has lots of syllables!

I would like to honour a relative, Joyce, but is that too grannified?! She never liked her name so I don't know if it defeats the point?!

NewBlueShoes Fri 29-Mar-13 21:42:25

What about Rosanna? I wanted to call Dd1 Rosanna but then granny called her dog Rosie so that was the end of that.

casma Fri 29-Mar-13 21:45:35

DD's middle name is Rose. When she was younger she used to pretend she didn't have a middle name as she was embarrassed to tell people because it's so old fashioned hmm

She 17 now and, thankfully, has got over that - she used to ask me why I didn't give her a normal middle name!

casma Fri 29-Mar-13 21:46:35

Re Joyce - have you considered Joy or is that too tenuous a link?

Rosa Fri 29-Mar-13 21:48:45

Dd1 - 7 has it as her second name... however when we picked it we had no idea it was popular ( we live abroad). DH grandmother was Rosa and it was also significant from my side...so we gave it to her as a second name. We loved it and still do.
Dd2 -4 has Grace as her second name... Again we had no idea it was so very popular in the UK we chose it as was a family name.

i would make the same choices again . IMO you chose what you like!!!

flowerygirl Fri 29-Mar-13 21:50:28

It's a bit tenuous...I'm not particularly keen on Joyce as a name (it was just to honour the relative)

Do wonder if granny names like Joyce/Eileen/Hilda/Irene will make a comeback too, as well as Florence/Ivy etc?!

Shellywelly1973 Fri 29-Mar-13 21:51:49

My dd now 12 has it as a middle name. It was in memory of my aunt who i was very close to.

My cousin named her first dd Rose as well.

Beautiful name...

sjupes Fri 29-Mar-13 21:52:37

My sisters new baby will have the middle name rose after her gran. I hate the name but at least it's not the full rosalind!

loulatallulah Fri 29-Mar-13 22:00:47

'A filler name'

Yep, because every new parent looks at their newborn daughter and thinks, 'I can't be arsed thinking of a beautiful middle name, let's just use that filler name....'

Maybe, just maybe, lots of people think it's nice?

aufaniae Sat 30-Mar-13 03:49:28

Yes, Rose May and Grace are undoutably the Louise of our time.

When I hear someone's used one of them I must admit inwardly I think "not another one!" although obviously if you love it, ignore what I think!

FWIW I agree with others that it's nice to have a middle bane which means something. How about Jocelyn?

aufaniae Sat 30-Mar-13 03:50:27

What was your family member joyce's middle name?

bigbluebump Sat 30-Mar-13 07:37:59

Yes! Seems to be used as a nice sounding filler name by many.

bigbluebump Sat 30-Mar-13 07:39:21

And yes, it is nice sounding. But still quite unoriginal!

NotTreadingGrapes Sat 30-Mar-13 07:41:57

It's lovely. Yes. But, as many others have said, it is the default along with May and Grace. (though May <shudders> tends to gets a hyphen)

I suppose it's become so common because it fits with every other name. No matter if the first name is classy and elegant or totally freakishly bonkers.

(I do think we need some more Roses as first names though!)

Bedat10 Sat 30-Mar-13 07:51:19

I'm 32 and its my middle name. Like a pp, I hated it as a child as it seemed old fashioned. Now I love it. And I only know one baby rose (and no middle named roses!) Go for it

LeonieDeSainteVire Sat 30-Mar-13 08:43:30

Exactly what loulatallulah said up thread.

People chose names because they like them. Names that happen to get used a lot are rarely if ever chosen because people can't be bothered, they are chosen because parents like them.

There is a lot of sneering on the baby names section and I hate it. For every person who comes on and says 'I hated being one of 20 Sarahs in my class' there is someone who says 'I hated being the only Pythagorus in my school everyone laughed at me'. Choose a name you love, spell it in a recognised way and check the initials don't spell B.U.M. or whatever. Surely those are the only 'rules'.

OP if you want Rose for a middle name use it and ignore any negative views.

ZolaBuddleia Sat 30-Mar-13 08:48:53

Yup, very boring filler. But then aren't all middle names just fillers, unless there's some sort of meaning behind them?

ZolaBuddleia Sat 30-Mar-13 08:50:05

What about Joy, if you want to honour your relative?

froggers1 Sat 30-Mar-13 08:54:07

My middle name is Rose and I am 38...it's funny. I hated it as a child as it was so unusual...well that has bitten me on the bum....

Teapig Sat 30-Mar-13 17:01:55

We're thinking of using Rose as a middle name for our LO. I agree that's fairly common now and could be seen as a bit of a boring filler name. Our first name choice is very unusual though so we want something to balance that out.

If you love it go for it, middle names don't get used that much and if it flows with the first name then why not?

lakeofshiningwaters Sat 30-Mar-13 17:11:14

I think Rose, May and Grace are all lovely names, whether for middle or first.

All those people saying they are just fillers, and middle names should mean something - don't you think it possible that, because those names were popular in our grandparents' generation, lots of people now are choosing them because they do have a personal connection?

Startail Sat 30-Mar-13 17:17:18

It's common because it flows nicely, my DSIS has a common 70's middle name, which flows. Mine is my mothers and my full name is a bit of a mouthful. It's also far longer to write on forms.

DD1s middle name is my NN (because oldest DD being called after mum applied to DSIL too and we decided to continue the tradition), also it works. DD2 has DMILs name as sadly she died while I was PG.

Acandlelitshadow Sat 30-Mar-13 17:27:24

It's beautiful.

Dd has Grace and Rose as middle names and I still love them 20 years after we chose them.

As for their being "filler names".....hmm

GW297 Sat 30-Mar-13 18:01:31

No it's lovely! One of if not my very favourite middle name for a girl.

Uhoh2007 Sat 30-Mar-13 22:07:42

Yes it's very common as a middle name. But it's lovely - and that's why.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now