Elliot - what do you think of this name?

(42 Posts)
Amber76 Thu 28-Mar-13 12:30:37

Hi
I already have an Olivia and I'm due in a few months. No problem with girls names but we're struggling with boys names.

We both like Elliot but I'm living in Ireland and have never heard anyone calling their child this name. I'd be concerned that it might be considered a "girly" name and that it could be shortened to Elle or Ellie - any thoughts?

It goes well with Olivia and the surname. We really don't have anything else for our shortlist!

Thanks

Shellywelly1973 Fri 29-Mar-13 21:47:47

Love it & i don't know any one of that name. Olivia is beautiful, i know 1 gorgeous little girl called Olivia.

LynetteScavo Fri 29-Mar-13 21:50:06

Hmm....I'm not keen.

I don't think of it as girly at all, though.

milkymocha Fri 29-Mar-13 21:50:25

Love it! Is my godsons name and never gets shortened smile

Pudgy2011 Sat 30-Mar-13 02:45:28

Another love it here! Was second on shortlist for DC1 - ended up having a boy, named him something else but Elliot is on the list for the next one if we have another boy!
Lovely name, not hugely popular (at least where I am) and classic.

Hermionewastherealhero Sat 30-Mar-13 06:00:18

The best name for a boy ever! (A biased Elliott mum!)
Also I have taught around 6 and all have been wonderful kids

bootsycollins Sat 30-Mar-13 06:06:39

I love Elliot, always makes me think of ET. For me Otto would be the natural shortened version which is also a lovely name. Elliot's not girls at all it's an underused classic, Olivia and Elliot are gorgeous names smile

SirDoris Sat 30-Mar-13 06:34:27

Love it. DS was very nearly Elliot, but couldn't get DH on board. If I have another DS I'll get my way wink

FingersCrossedLegsNot Sun 31-Mar-13 00:26:16

Love it

jaggythistle Sun 31-Mar-13 00:30:16

I love it too. DH didn't like it enough for DS1 and it didn't work with DS2's middle name though, so I haven't got one. grin

jaggythistle Sun 31-Mar-13 00:31:20

DH still didn't like it for DS2 either mind you.

MyShoofly Sun 31-Mar-13 00:44:51

Well mine is Elliot so naturally I think it's lovely and that I have spectacular taste grin

freerangechickens Sun 31-Mar-13 02:30:18

Love it, but with 2 t's. One t just looks so unfinished to me. It was one of the names we wanted for DS, but he didn't come out looking like one, so we used it as his middle name.

sleeplessinderbyshire Sun 31-Mar-13 10:11:54

Very common in Derbyshire and usually chosen by mothers of multiple children with multiple fathers so for me it would be a big no. (Actually I know a lovely professional middle class mum with an Elliott as well but I do wonder why on earth she named him so)

LadyMedea Sun 31-Mar-13 15:46:11

Our no.1 boys name at the mo! Go for it! I think it's gentle but still manly

Amber76 Mon 01-Apr-13 10:56:53

Thanks very much for all the feedback! Its a definite contender - I really do like it and its a little bit different. Hopefully we'll come up with one or two other boys names we like before June and then have a little shortlist on the day. Husband is impossible - he vetoes everything.

Hermionewastherealhero Mon 01-Apr-13 15:41:11

My husband said no to Elliott at first but I said I would be forever disappointed not to hve it included somewhere. 45 minutes after he was born husband said "let's call him Elliott" and I said "yippee!"
He does really suit the name. I prefer two L's and two T's. I think it looks beautiful on paper as well.

jellybeans Tue 02-Apr-13 17:53:29

Don't like it and I know one that gets 'Elli' as nn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now