Elliot - what do you think of this name?

(42 Posts)
Amber76 Thu 28-Mar-13 12:30:37

Hi
I already have an Olivia and I'm due in a few months. No problem with girls names but we're struggling with boys names.

We both like Elliot but I'm living in Ireland and have never heard anyone calling their child this name. I'd be concerned that it might be considered a "girly" name and that it could be shortened to Elle or Ellie - any thoughts?

It goes well with Olivia and the surname. We really don't have anything else for our shortlist!

Thanks

HappyJoyful Thu 28-Mar-13 12:34:48

I like it. Under used in my opinion. Don't worry that it's not very Irish, and I don't think it would be shortened to Ellie. I like Leo, perhaps at a stretch if you wanted to encourage shortening that could be it, though not sure Leo and Olivia wouldn't be a bit of a mouthful.

I have one! Love it, I, don't really know any others. It doesn't get shortened!

SneezySnatcher Thu 28-Mar-13 15:57:10

Love the name (it's my DNephew's).

He gets El and Ottie as NNs (and Elbow)!

chimchar Thu 28-Mar-13 16:00:28

I love it.

Always makes me think of ET (in a good way!)

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Thu 28-Mar-13 19:56:50

I love it. Makes me think of one of my favourite singers Elliott Smith. I think it's a name everyone will have heard of, but it's not overly popular if that's a concern for you.

It's more known as a boy's name to me (have heard it as a girl's name on th tv show Scrubs), it isn't the most 'macho' of names, but it's lovely! You could shorten it to Eli if you wanted.

abbyfromoz Thu 28-Mar-13 21:21:44

I love it for a boy OR a girl. I think it sounds like a boy name but I like girls names that are slightly boyish names (Billie is my sister's namesmile)

FranKatzenjammer Fri 29-Mar-13 08:57:17

I prefer it as Elliott for some reason.

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Fri 29-Mar-13 09:00:24

I'm in Ireland and I know 3 Elliots locally.

The eldest one is 10 and the youngest is a newborn.

They are all just called Elliot, not shortened at all.

NotMostPeople Fri 29-Mar-13 09:02:30

It's ok, but when he's a toddler please don't call him Ellitot , my old boss did this and we had to endure it for months.

Meglet Fri 29-Mar-13 09:07:33

Aw, I love Elliot.

Startail Fri 29-Mar-13 09:15:50

It's lovely, I know one about 8

nectarini1983 Fri 29-Mar-13 09:19:31

Quite like it. Don't know any little ones called Elliott but went to school with one and he was rather tasty!

NotTreadingGrapes Fri 29-Mar-13 09:31:08

I dislike surname names.

lljkk Fri 29-Mar-13 09:35:41

Not generally a fan of names that start with a vowel, but I like it. I vaguely know one who is 10.

landofsoapandglory Fri 29-Mar-13 09:37:28

I've got one who is 18. He is usually called Elliot, sometimes El.

toffeelolly Fri 29-Mar-13 09:39:03

No do not like it. love your dd"s namewink

I really like it. Decided I will never have one though as it's too similar to dd name (harriet).

Manoodledo Fri 29-Mar-13 20:16:29

I've got one too (aged 6). Lovely name and no one has tried to shorten it.

Gorgeous name (another biased mummy here ;) )
His young siblings shorten it to Ello, Ellot, Lellot, or just cutey cutey baby grin and we have found ourselves calling him Lellot too, seems to have stuck as a family nn, but basically he's just Elliot which is a fabulous name!

LilyLilyLilyOiOiOi Fri 29-Mar-13 21:23:14

My son is Elliott and his initials are ET....!! blush but I really love it and it suits him so much! It really is a lovely name

SilveryMoon Fri 29-Mar-13 21:26:03

I really like it. I hadn't really thought about it until I heard a woman on the post-natal ward talking to her dh about calling their baby Elliot or Sam and was thinking it really has to be Sam, but the more I thought about it, the more I liked it.

Whatalotofpiffle Fri 29-Mar-13 21:28:16

Love it!!

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 29-Mar-13 21:31:44

Another vote her. DH suggested it for DS but had to veto it. We already had a cat with the same name......grin

I hate it. I know several, and it isn't the particular children putting me off. I just hate it. Too many spelling variations that I can't remember (one L or two? one T or two?) and the only natural nickname is Smelliot.

Dear God no.

And fwiw I think Olivia and Elliot is a bit of a tongue-twister.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now