A few boys name questions

(52 Posts)
Cordial Thu 21-Mar-13 21:54:59

So if I say the name Fred what name do you think it is short for or is it a boys name in its own right?

Second question we are fond of the name Horace. Does anybody know any???

mayanna123 Sun 24-Mar-13 22:22:49

It may not be a bullying issue but why give your child a name that has an unfortunate meaning (depending on what newspapers you read the verb hector or hectoring is used fairly frequently) if there are so many names with lovely or no meanings. Isn't that the whole point of these threads, that people like the op can ask for opinions on potential names?

nooka Sun 24-Mar-13 22:36:22

dh wanted to use Hector for our prospective ds (historian and classicist), but although I love the hero (despite him coming to a very sad end) I think it's a harsh name with no nickname possibilities.

I'm afraid that I think Horace whilst cool in principle is not at all a good name in practice. Better I think for a pet. Plus for me Horace is very definitely a bear (and one that eats his whole family, so not really a very nice bear!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now