Mabel?

(57 Posts)
CheerfulYank Wed 20-Mar-13 20:38:59

I kind of like it...my beloved grandmother was Melba and I like that it has the same letters.

What are your thoughts?

I'm due in May and don't really love any girls' names yet...our front runner so far is Margaret with Maggie as a nickname. We already have a Sam.

CheerfulYank Fri 22-Mar-13 01:20:45

Yup, Anon, her name was Melba like the toast. smile

I remember Mad About You, frika. I was actually thinking of that yesterday! I was a kid when their Mabel was born and I remember thinking "ewwwwwww." grin

Also I am American so Margaret Thatcher (and Princess Margaret) don't immediately jump to mind.

TanteRose Fri 22-Mar-13 01:27:33

Hey there CY

I don't mind Mabel, but was thinking maybe it wouldn't go quite so well with your surname? too many "b"s?

only a few weeks to go...

bet you can't wait to meet your little girl smile

Manoodledo Fri 22-Mar-13 09:41:25

I like Mabel, there is one in DS1's school. I love Maggie. Before DS1 was born DH's dad had been doing their family tree and the name Maggie Bella appeared on it several times, short for Margaret Isabella. We were so tempted by it, family were horrified, alas no girls yet and now we have a Magnus, so we can't really have a Maggie as well (currently pregnant with no. 3).

CheerfulYank Fri 22-Mar-13 16:19:51

I hadn't thought of that Tante, but it is rather a lot of B's.

It's coming up so quickly! Only 62 day until my due date apparently. shock

LeslieWrinkle Fri 22-Mar-13 16:37:01

does your sur name begin with B? that might not sound great. Mabel Barker. hmm. buhbuhbuh.

AThingInYourLife Fri 22-Mar-13 16:43:31

I love the name Mabel and have since I was a girl.

mewkins Fri 22-Mar-13 20:45:29

I think it's just ok. A friend's mother used to apply the rule that if it sounds like a "maid's name" it was no good. Thought this was very snooty...but can sort of see her point - Mabel and Margaret (a name I loathe) both sound like they should be bellowed by the housekeeper in a costume drama.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now