OK, everybody. Time for a public service thread. Post real names that are unusual but not so bonkers that the poor child will have 80 years of explaining, spelling and justifying to deal with.

(145 Posts)
seeker Sat 16-Mar-13 00:35:10

Clemency
Timothy
Edith

are my first 3.

BabyRoger Sat 16-Mar-13 16:12:30

My dd's doll is called roger! I've no idea where she heard that name!

I shall add:

orla
Wren
Lydia
Annie

Keir
Cameron
rory

AwkwardAnnie Sat 16-Mar-13 16:13:53

Wow! My name was one of the first mentioned, it never gets mentioned normally!
I have had a lifetime of spelling it, repeating it, explaining it's origins, but I still love it, having to explain and spelling really isn't the end of the world. I like being different. At the very least it's usually a good conversation starter. I think a lot of the ones mentioned so far would need spelling.

I love Genevieve too, but it doesn't sound good being bellowed along a beach in a northern accent (my Dad's main criteria for whether a name is good or not.)

BabyRoger Sat 16-Mar-13 16:14:44

Tara
Lorna

Eskino Sat 16-Mar-13 16:16:58

BOF says, "I heard a brilliant one this week- it doesn't fit your criteria, because it is TOTALLY out there, but it was awesome, and the child was mega-cute and will style it out, I'm sure. I rather admire the bollocks of parents who really go for it".

This should be copied and pasted by anyone who feels the need to justify their child's name.

<bows down to BOF>

ArtexMonkey Sat 16-Mar-13 16:19:02

I think I know the name bof mentioned, it is indeed gobsmackingly awesome.

BOF Sat 16-Mar-13 16:28:14

You definitely do know it, Artex grin

Bearandcub Sat 16-Mar-13 16:34:17

Not fair, I need to know what the name is now.

exoticfruits Sat 16-Mar-13 16:34:34

Christopher
Paul
David
Mary
Frances
Ruth

SoftSheen Sat 16-Mar-13 16:37:35

seeker grin

Admittedly the 3 Rogers I know of are all in their early 60s. But 30 years ago, George, Arthur and Wilfred were all 'old man' names, and they are pretty popular now!

exoticfruits Sat 16-Mar-13 16:39:51

I missed Stephen and Stephanie

seeker Sat 16-Mar-13 17:04:56

But nobody has ever talked about giving somebody a good Georging, have they?

...and Mary and David fit the bill of being unusual? hmm

iheartmycat Sat 16-Mar-13 17:39:12

Hepzibah
Jemima
Sally

Fraser
Conor
Malcolm
Gordon

DillyTante Sat 16-Mar-13 17:42:06

Lila
Violet
Andrina
Betty
Sapphire

seeker Sat 16-Mar-13 17:51:19

How many Marys and Davids under the age of 50 do you know?

GettingObsessive Sat 16-Mar-13 18:04:42

Mary not so much, but I know at least 5 Davids under 50, including my DH and BIL!!

2 Marys in my younger sons primary school of 220 and 1 David plus a neighbour has one who is in nursery. Same school as 2 Pipers (1 M & 1F) and I'd have said that was more unusual.

At work, quite a few Davids under 50 and my friend's cousin (called David) has just called his baby son that.

Not so many Marys tbf - My eldest is in High school and not so sure if there are many of either there - not in his group of friends anyway.

Maybe it's a Scottish thing?

exoticfruits Sat 16-Mar-13 18:23:44

I taught a 5 year old Mary a couple of years ago - it struck me that it was the first child in my teaching career called Mary. There are always a few Davids, but never many. I really like it.

Minkus Sat 16-Mar-13 19:41:19

If you're going to raise roger- i'll see it and raise you a Barry.

I know someone who actually called their baby boy Barry. 2 years ago. their surname starts with B, has two syllables. Can you imagine, baby Barry Basket.. (wasn't basket but you get my drift at the awfulness of it)

seeker Sat 16-Mar-13 19:43:21

You don't talk about giving somebody a good Barrying, either!

vamosbebe Sat 16-Mar-13 19:46:12

Lamorna (girl I went to school with, named after a Cornish town)
Audrey
Minette
Camilla
Angela

Can't think of any boys' names.

MrsDeVere Sat 16-Mar-13 19:49:24

Marmite

Natalie - due a revival

At least roger is vigorous
Justin is unfortunate

bigkidsdidit Sat 16-Mar-13 19:56:50

I know loads of Davids but it is very very common in Scotland (always David not Dave). Also know 3 Marys

I have an Albert nn Bertie which fits I think smile

Minkus Sat 16-Mar-13 20:07:40

Hahah seeker and Thisis!

Although dh is called Barry. I'm not impartial to a Barrying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now