What do you think of Mikey Edward and Mia Rose?

(67 Posts)
HenD19 Sat 09-Mar-13 16:01:43

Not sure if Edward sounds too traditional with Mikey but it is my fil's middle name and would like to use it as his first name definitely doesn't fit.

OkayHazel Sat 09-Mar-13 19:47:25

If a man introduced himself to me as Mikey in a bar, I'd be turned off. Michael, or if you must, Mike. Not Mikey. Eurgh.

HenD19 Sat 09-Mar-13 19:49:59

What about another one-syllable middle name to go with Mia? Not Mae as my DD1's is that?

I think Edward isn't right with Mikey actually. I do still like the name Mikey despite most of you hating it. would never admit what my other 2DC are called to you horrible lot!

chipmonkey Sat 09-Mar-13 19:51:38

Mia Grace
Mia Kate

OkayHazel Sat 09-Mar-13 19:52:35

chipmonkey Your DS is called Tom though, not Tommy. Tom = Mike.

chipmonkey Sat 09-Mar-13 19:57:45

Sometimes we call him Tommy-Wommy-Gommy-head. Does that count? grin

FriggFRIGGisPoorlySick Sat 09-Mar-13 19:58:21

Mikey is not nice...it also doesn't pass the lawyer/builder (grown man) test...
Edward is lovely.

pookamoo Sat 09-Mar-13 20:04:27

I agree with others who have said put Michael on the birth cert but you don't need to tell anyone, and just call him Mikey.

Here's the test we used:

"[name]! Come in for your tea!"
"I think [name] is ready for his/her next promotion"
"[name] I love you, will you marry me?"

Ask yourself if it works in all those situations? I can't hear "Mikey" in the second one, to be fair. Not saying his name will prejudice him against promotions, just that it sounds a bit, well, babyish.

I think Mikey is cute, and works up to about age 15 but if he wants a professional job, it might be a good idea to go for a full name he can use. Although I suppose "Mike" is just the grown up version of Mikey, but this does mean he'll get a nickname anyway, which you say you don't want to happen...

everlong Sat 09-Mar-13 20:04:32

The Mikey comes from a very educated MC family acksherley wink

everlong Sat 09-Mar-13 20:05:10

That should say the Mikey I know

OkayHazel Sat 09-Mar-13 20:08:12

chipmonkey Only if it's on the birth certificate :D

pookamoo Sat 09-Mar-13 20:51:48

I know of a man who is called Mark and was known as "Markey" all the way up to when he went to university, when he asked his parents to please stop calling him "Markey" as it sounded like a little boy and he needed to be allowed to grow up now!

zingally Sun 10-Mar-13 18:00:53

Agreed with everyone else. Mikey is a bit daft. Cute until about age 11, then begins to sound childish. Go with Michael so he can make his own decisions on nicknames.

Mia Rose is okay. But a bit "done to death" at the moment. She could easily be one of a couple in school.

VBisme Sun 10-Mar-13 18:06:34

Mikey is not a great name, even for a child, but definitely not for an adult.

Would you prefer Mark or Marcus to Michael?

Rhubarbgarden Sun 10-Mar-13 19:26:08

As an employer, I wouldn't be encouraged if I saw Mikey on a CV. It would suggest to me that the applicant was trying to be over familiar or lacking in appropriate gravitas. His CV would be at a disadvantage from the start.

tallulah Sun 10-Mar-13 19:36:10

Mia Rose is lovely but I know several Mia s (under 5) and all have Rose as their middle name.

determinedma Sun 10-Mar-13 21:19:56

Mikey is horrible

I like Mia Rose but you could have
Mia Grace
Mia Sue
Mia Ruth

I knew a grown up Mikey.

He got the mick taken out of him a LOT.

HenD19 Mon 11-Mar-13 06:48:40

So let me get this right.....the Mumsnet massive don't like Mikey?? Gutted as liked the name and haven't really found another boys name DH and I agree on. I like Jude but my husband's not keen. I'll be really, really brave so don't be too unkind and share my other DS's name....he's called Mario. No Italian connection but it is my husband's nickname. Does that make calling DS2 (if it is a DS) Mikey more viable?

Sorry,no. Mario is a name, Mikey isn't.

exoticfruits Mon 11-Mar-13 07:12:44

I would have Edward and Rose and drop the rest.

exoticfruits Mon 11-Mar-13 07:13:30

Michael is a lovely name- why not use it?

Mikey is an infantilising nickname. Cute(ish) for a child, awful for an adult man.

forgetmenots Mon 11-Mar-13 07:22:54

Much prefer Mario! smile And don't mind Mikey if it's a nn when he is little, but wouldn't call him that alone with no other option (would say the same about Mickey, Mick or Mike).

Glaikit Mon 11-Mar-13 07:35:04

What about Micah if Michael doesn't do it for you? It sits well with Mario which I love btw!

or you could go for luigi grin

HDEE Mon 11-Mar-13 07:43:33

Are you limiting your choices to just M names?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now