honest (but kind) baby name opinions please.

(77 Posts)
ldt87 Tue 05-Mar-13 20:43:20

Hi everyone. My husband and i are discussing baby names at the moment. Its still early days in my pregnancy but we enjoy talking about all we can anyway. Its taken us nearly 2 years to conceive so no time like the present to start planning! Anyway the names we seem to agree on are:

Isabella paige
Jacob Philip

Can you all let me know what you think of these names and if there are any associations i should know about. We are open to suggestions except from Philip which is my dads name.

GirlOutNumbered Mon 11-Mar-13 22:07:40

I called my DS1 Jacob, had never read twilight or been interested. However, we later found out that His birthday was the release date for the movie! We tend to call him Jay or JB.

ldt87 Mon 11-Mar-13 22:00:20

Christopher is my husbands middle name which is why it has entered the equation. Kit is a good nickname for it, a name we liked on its own actually.

ldt87 Mon 11-Mar-13 21:59:02

Not a twilight fan nectar its pure coincidence and actually puts me off. I haven't even seen the films or read the books! The middle name will be a proper stand alone name rather than a filler if you know what i mean. What it is just depends on the first name.

The only family name i have left i would like to use is glenda after my grandma, which i would not in a million years name a baby! Have considered glen for a middle name though.

I know a Nathaniel who is always that in full. I wouldn't use it but I like it. I do not like Nathan - feels dated and a bit geeky.

I really wanted Christopher nn Kit for DS2 but DH talked me out of it. Like it a lot.

nectarini1983 Mon 11-Mar-13 21:42:20

Are you a twilight fan??

Bella and Jacob?? You just need Edward and youve got a set.

I dont like Paige for some reason but better than Rose/ May ... the usual drab middle names.

almapudden Mon 11-Mar-13 21:05:48

I like Isabella and Philip. Not keen on Jacob (boring) or Paige (a bit, well, common).

ldt87 Mon 11-Mar-13 20:56:13

What's the general opinion on the name Nathaniel or Nathan Nickname Nate?

ldt87 Mon 11-Mar-13 20:51:53

My husband is coming round to Maggie so it is firmly back on the list. Now looks as though it will be Maggie or Imogen for a girl, boys still a bit undecided. Christopher may be in the running for a boy.

AmberSocks Mon 11-Mar-13 16:28:00

Jacob is a great name but soooo popular,there are 4 in my sons class,same as Isabelle,lovely but i feel its lost some of its loveliness as its getting more ad more overused.

Glaikit Mon 11-Mar-13 16:14:33

Love phoebe and maggie. Dh granny was maggie-bella (Margaret Isabella was too posh according to her father) but one of his cousins bred before us and nabbed maggie!

Phoebe was DSs name if he were a dd!

EvenIfYouSeeAPoppy Mon 11-Mar-13 16:12:17

Your boy's name is fab. Isabella is lovely, Paige isn't - very of its time.

ZolaBuddleia Mon 11-Mar-13 16:05:47

Of your list I like:

Isaac
Frankie (only for a boy)
Sebastian
Maggie
Jesse
Nate
Violet
Elliot

Misfit13 Sun 10-Mar-13 20:21:49

Philip shortened to Pip?
Philippa shortened to Pippa? (tho I prefer Penelope/Penny)
Don't think it's odd to use a parent's first name (or a derivative) - my dad is John; DS2 is Johnny.
Personally, I would hold out for Maggie - as that's what Johnny would have been had he been a girl - short for Mary-Margaret; Mary being my mum's name)
smile

PickleSarnie Sun 10-Mar-13 18:24:03

Love Maggie!

INeverSaidThat Sun 10-Mar-13 17:56:05

Both lovely but both were the number 1 name in the US a few years ago. I don't think that matters though smile

Isabella is very popular but it is a lovely name.

DonderandBlitzen Sun 10-Mar-13 17:51:56

I like Isabella, Jacob and Philip, but not Paige.

shockers Sat 09-Mar-13 22:51:28

I love the name Philippa, but I could be biased wink.

everlong Sat 09-Mar-13 22:30:42

Not keen on Paige.

But the others are nice.

bouncysmiley Sat 09-Mar-13 22:22:25

Isabelle Paige is lovely but Jacob is waaay too popular

ldt87 Thu 07-Mar-13 18:28:44

Added chloe to my list and phoebe, i think this will end up being a situation where we meet baby before deciding on a final name. It frustrates me in a way because both girls had names before birth, but in this case, i think we will just end up with a short list.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 07-Mar-13 18:10:47

<Runs in, shouts> Chloe? <Runs out again>.

MortifiedAdams Thu 07-Mar-13 17:53:09

Ooh was just about to suggest Phoebe but see you are considering it yourself.

I like Phoebe Isabella.

Boys wise im not fussed on your name (but then I dont need to be grin ). Wjat about Henry Phillip?

BlingBubbles Thu 07-Mar-13 17:49:32

We have a Isabella grin and have yet to meet another one. Don't like Paige as a middle name, we were going to call our DD Isabella poppy but my MIL died while I was pregnant so we used her name as DD's middle name instead of poppy. I also love Francesca, Frankie for short.

For me boys names are so difficult, I don't like Jacob, I don't know why I just don't. Can't help you out with boys name unfortunately, god help me if I ever have a boy.

Varya Thu 07-Mar-13 17:42:02

Vanessa comes to mind now ...............

Varya Thu 07-Mar-13 17:37:43

Am now hooked on Jolyon for a boy (honest and kind) and Jocelyn for a girl (ditto)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now