Is my name too popular?

(63 Posts)
flossyflo Tue 05-Mar-13 15:33:24

34 weeks pregnant and thought we had it all sorted...

Girls name chosen as Isla months ago (in all honesty I had the gmail account already registered a few years ago not that husband knew that).

But... am now having second thoughts as just checked the ONS website and found it is ranked number 15...

Should this affect my decision. I always loved having a more unusual name and would like daughter to feel the same.

vess Thu 07-Mar-13 11:08:27

Every toddler group we've been to seems to have an Isla or two!
It is a nice name, though.

Fishandjam Thu 07-Mar-13 11:16:44

I love it, but I agree it's extremely popular at the moment. I am incredibly fussy about names (as my exasperated DH will confirm - naming our two DCs was a nightmare!) and one of my criteria was that the kid shouldn't be "date stamped" by their name. Unfortunately I'd personally feel that Isla has Early Twenty-Teens running through it like seaside rock. But I still like it as a name, and if I wasn't so unreasonably picky I'd possibly have used it myself.

oohlaalaa Thu 07-Mar-13 12:26:22

Well my DD's name is Ava. This has been described as faddy, but we love it and no regrets. To with the name you love.

Nancyclancy Thu 07-Mar-13 12:48:52

I would use Isla if that's the name you really like. My dd's name is not used much but when we do come across another everyone points it out.

getmeoutofthismadhouse Sat 09-Mar-13 05:06:43

But ... my son is a Jack , he is one of only a handful in his 500 strong school and that was a number 1 name for years. It depends on your area. I hardly hear his name round here.
So don't just rule out a name because of popularity that might not be the case or she could be one of 5 in her class ....

mathanxiety Sat 09-Mar-13 05:49:12

No matter what, she will be your Isla and that makes all the difference.

<Speaking as the mother of a DD whose name has been in the top 10 for years in lots of different countries -- DD was born just when the name was taking off and there have always been several in her class and on teams she has been on too. But that name is just DD to me.>

everlong Sat 09-Mar-13 16:41:27

Anna.

nectarini1983 Sat 09-Mar-13 20:22:20

It's lovely but very 'in' at the mo. My best mates 9 month old is Isla Summer.

rachywhite83 Sat 09-Mar-13 20:39:09

we loved the name Isla but our surname is White so they didnt go well together !grin grin grin

PurpleStorm Sat 09-Mar-13 21:53:05

Isla's definitely got a lot more popular recently.bBut if you really love it, then I'd use it anyway.

Also, just because it's number 15 nationally doesn't mean it'll be super popular where you live.

I've come across of 3 little Isla's where I live - but on the other hand, I haven't met a single Olivia, Jessica or Ruby, and they're all top 10 names.

Southeastdweller Sat 09-Mar-13 22:00:34

It seems to be quite popular, yes, but if you really love it then I think you should use it.

But speaking as someone with a more unusual name than most, like yourself, I do understand your reluctance.

IslaMann Sat 09-Mar-13 22:09:52

I love it. If I had a DD this is on the list, hence my mn nn. Unluckily I have secondary infertility and am in my 40s so it's unlikely to ever get used.

williaminajetfighter Sat 09-Mar-13 22:41:42

Are you in Scotland OP? Here every other girl seems to be an Isla. Less common in the south I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now