Girls name - is this too weird?

(59 Posts)
Teapig Thu 21-Feb-13 21:27:04

We like the name Safia but is it too out there?

I know it sounds very similar to Saskia or Sofia but funnily I'm not keen on either of those.

Is it too out there?

I have an old friend called Safia. Shes lovely smile

Teapig Mon 25-Feb-13 07:58:48

maidmarian, how did she pronounce it? Was it Safia to rhyme with mafia? That's the way I'm saying it but have heard alternatives.

monica77798 Mon 25-Feb-13 11:07:30

I think Safia is quite nice - but I agree that it might produce difficulties in pronunciation.

WeAreSix Mon 25-Feb-13 11:13:04

My DD has a Safia in her class, pronounced Saf-ee-ya. She also has a girl called Saf-e-ya (much shorter e sound) but I'm not sure how that one is spelt. There's a Sophie and a Sophia in her year group, must've been popular that year!

OooShiney Mon 25-Feb-13 16:21:06

There is a Saffia at toddler group, it's really pretty name, never would have thought it odd at all.

teapig it was pronounced Sa fee ya x

Viviennemary Tue 26-Feb-13 20:23:37

I think it sounds quite a nice name, though I haven't heard it before. But I think that there will be a need for endless explanations about spelling and pronunciation. But there is nothing strange about it at all.

sleeplessinderbyshire Tue 26-Feb-13 21:35:18

my first thought is that it's the name of the beautiful woman whom Elias Cole marries after he helps the authorities to do away with her first husband Julius in Aminatta Forna's amazing novel "The Memory of Love" but I doubt many people will have read that novel grin

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 26-Feb-13 21:59:36

lots of asian boys in my school called saffyan. I would call expect her name to be saffron and you shorten it to safia. i quite like it. oh but iy is a bit like zafira (car)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now