Romilly

(22 Posts)
MrsCuldesac Mon 11-Feb-13 19:55:14

When we named our Romily - just one L - we thought it was pretty unique. And then . . . there was already one Romily when she joined secondary school - and now one of her best friends is another Romily, who's attended the same college. They call each other "Other Me". They don't get confused by this!

washngo Mon 11-Feb-13 19:44:38

That's what I am worried about FrauGrau - I wouldn't shorten either name but others might. I do love Romilly though...

pookamoo Mon 11-Feb-13 19:31:33

Love love it! I think it wouldn't be a problem.

FrauGrau Mon 11-Feb-13 19:29:54

You do not get to select your child's nickname - her friends will do that in spite of you.
I know 2 Romillys one male one female . Not convinced I like it for either but there you go. Camilla is nice, but not with romilly too many Molly's in that combo

deleted203 Mon 11-Feb-13 18:17:28

I love Romilly. We'd have called our DS2 and DS3 that (if they'd been girls, of course grin). I'd go for Romy as a nickname.

spaghettibolognese Mon 11-Feb-13 18:15:32

Maybe your girls will pick their own nicknames and wouldn't want to be called by their sister's nn. I'm sure it'd work out fine wink

washngo Mon 11-Feb-13 16:42:36

Quite like the idea of romy as a poss nn - would you pronounce it roamy or rommy?

MidnightMasquerader Mon 11-Feb-13 13:57:05

Romilly is, I thought, a well-known girl's name. Romy is gorgeous as well.

If you do go with both names, you can rest assured both girls won't end up with the same nn; it just wouldn't happen!

Besides, Camilla and Romilly are so, so, so much nicer than Milly!! wink

washngo Mon 11-Feb-13 13:50:49

Oh dear, still no idea what I think. Finding it so so hard to make a decision this time round!

forgottenpassword Sun 10-Feb-13 21:59:28

Love that name! Sophisticated and cool. Not too similar to Camilla at all.

lucylookout Sun 10-Feb-13 21:56:37

I thought it was a boy's name too, although that doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice for a girl as well

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 10-Feb-13 21:51:54

Romilly is the name of a very nice park near us see here, and we also have a pub named Sir Samuel Romilly.

I would have guessed at it being a boys name.

Hmmm...I'm not sure they go together either.

WillowinGloves Sun 10-Feb-13 21:49:48

I'm not sure I've ever commented on a name thread before, but Romilly is a gorgeous name! We know a Romy - wonder if she's a Romilly too? (Our Romy is pronounced roamy, btw.) I'm sure you can steer the nicknames when the time comes!

Doshusallie Sun 10-Feb-13 21:46:49

Hmm. Came on here to say love romilly, but prob wouldn't use it if I had a camilla. Hth.

I adore the name Romilly and would steer any nicknames towards Romy :-)

momb Sun 10-Feb-13 21:45:26

I work with a Romalie, pronounced the same way. Never seen in spelled Romilly though. It sounds lovely.

washngo Sun 10-Feb-13 21:42:29

So not too much 'mill' going on then?

whatagreatname Sun 10-Feb-13 21:17:01

I love the name Romilly and think it sounds lovely with Camilla. I wouldn't worry about nicknames myself but perhaps a nn Romy for Romilly would avoid two the same

KumquatMae Sun 10-Feb-13 21:14:57

Bit of both tbh. I think that one or both of the girls would probably come up with an alternative, if their sister was also known as Millie. Cam/Cammy/Milla or Romy/Roo/Roms etc.
They're both beautiful names!

almostanotherday Sun 10-Feb-13 21:13:26

I love the name Romanie

washngo Sun 10-Feb-13 21:10:55

We are struggling a bit with naming our 3rd baby. Dh really likes the name romilly, but we already have a camilla. My worry is that, although we never use the nn milly, both girls friends might do, so we could end up with two Millies! Is this over thinking or is that a reasonable concern to have?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now