How popular is Isla...

(67 Posts)
Locketjuice Sun 10-Feb-13 08:01:54

Do you know any? I have always been in love with the name, and just looking through names and I'm shocked to see its so popular according to the polls... hmm

So how many is there really out there? I'm due August... smile

Also from the south if that's any help...

Firsttimemum2012 Sun 10-Feb-13 20:15:18

I know of two born within 2 weeks of my DS in July.

LiviaAugusta Sun 10-Feb-13 20:41:29

DS might have been an Isla if a friend hadn't called her daughter it about three weeks before he was born! I now know at least four Islas born in the last 3 years. Still love the name though.

Floggingmolly Sun 10-Feb-13 20:44:26

I'm in London and haven't heard of any. It's lovely smile

TunipTheVegedude Sun 10-Feb-13 20:45:32

Last year 4 of my friends had baby girls and 3 of them were called Isla!

It's popular for a reason!

I don't know any! grin I'm in the North East smile

JacqueslePeacock Sun 10-Feb-13 20:57:34

I don't know any at all, strangely (East of England), although I think of it as being a very popular name, IYKWIM

KumquatMae Sun 10-Feb-13 20:58:19

South East here and I know of three. It's a lovely name.

DessieLou Mon 11-Feb-13 01:39:05

I know 3...one is about 3 in Yorkshire, one is 4 months in Scotland and one is a jack russell that normally has its nails painted...poor thing. smile

FannyBazaar Mon 11-Feb-13 01:42:40

I'm in London and have heard of a few born in the last year or so, also same pronunciation but different spellings like Ayla, Aisla and others.

Mosman Mon 11-Feb-13 01:45:30

We have two in our family, one a bit chavy the other not, it's rather funny

ProtegeMoi Mon 11-Feb-13 02:03:05

I know 2 young Islas on my tiny north west town,

AlohaMama Mon 11-Feb-13 07:23:16

If you love it, go for it. It may be popular in one area but not another and till your Isla gets to school you won't know how many classmates with the same name she'd be likely to have. We have chosen a name for our dd due later this year which we decided on 8 years ago but is now apparently very popular. But even if a name is in the top 20 that may still only be 1 or 2% of the girls born that year, and popular names are popular because they're nice! <trying to reassure myself as much as you>

OzBrit Mon 11-Feb-13 07:54:44

I know 3 Isla's - all born in 2012. One in London, 2 in north west. It is a pretty name but increasing in popularity.

GW297 Mon 11-Feb-13 08:03:31

Very, but it's lovely!

MidnightMasquerader Mon 11-Feb-13 08:10:13

Very popular where I am. I'm a bit further south than most of you (NZ). Regional popularity doesn't really have too much bearing - the name will be associated with this era, especially when you consider it is currently popular internationally.

I went to school with an Isla 30 years ago - it was very rare then!

FirstTimeForEverything Mon 11-Feb-13 08:17:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ragwort Mon 11-Feb-13 08:19:40

I've only heard of one (born last week smile).

But really, if you like it, use it. My DS's name is in the top 5 names but there are none in his social circle, there is one in his class (with an incredibly similar surname grin) but it isn't a problem at all.

coldcupoftea Mon 11-Feb-13 08:20:45

I know loads, sorry. Round here every little girl is called Isla, Evie, Sophia or Isabel!

Belmo Mon 11-Feb-13 08:25:36

I've met absolutely loads at toddler groups, it's the only one there's always doublers of (central Scotland) it's a lovely name though.

Whyriskit Mon 11-Feb-13 08:38:23

Lots here in SE Scotland. A friend in Oz (also Scottish) has called his daughter Islay, which is pronounced the same as Islay - the y is silent.

Bue Tue 12-Feb-13 15:37:44

Am a student midwife in the East Midlands and it's one of the most common baby names I come across. I expect it's even more popular down where you are.

jollygoose Tue 12-Feb-13 18:44:07

it wouldnt do to marry Mr Mann or Mr White!

AyeOopMoose Tue 12-Feb-13 20:15:49

DD1 is Isla. She is the only one in her nursery and they have never had another.

I know it's popular and keep an ear open but haven't heard it locally. (SW)

If you like it, I wouldn't worry about popularity. I was like this before DD1 and for that reason was against the name however it was the only one DH and I agreed on now I'm really glad it's her name. It's beautiful (as is she!).

thegreylady Tue 12-Feb-13 20:39:11

I only know one, a teenager, and her sister is Iona.
I love both names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now