What is wrong with 'Freya'?

(60 Posts)
craigslittleangel Tue 05-Feb-13 00:28:31

I'm pregnant with DD 2 and although I had a name for my first, in the end she didn't suit it and her dad named her. I love the name and the reason for its choice (named after a character in mythology and a painting), but discovered after her registration that it was in the top 10 for that year. Not normally a problem, untill she started nursery and there were 3 others there. (Although all spelt differently).

So, with DD2 I am determined to get something not so much 'of its time'.

The other day I heard someone call 'Freya' and thought it was lovely. It's stayed with me and has beaten my other option Elanor. However, it seems its very popular at the moment..... People are even being derisive about it.

So, tell me whats wrong with it? Don't worry, I'm not stuck on it for life or anything like that, I would just like to understand why some people don't like it.

wiltingfast Tue 12-Feb-13 23:41:42

I don't know of any Freyas but I don't like the name. I just don't like how it sounds and it feels incomplete.

That's a totally personal reaction obviously!

qumquat Wed 13-Feb-13 22:36:11

I think it's a brilliant name. It's not top 10 so can't be that popular. I've never met one and I know loads of littlies.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Thu 14-Mar-13 23:30:04

mosman really don't like dark hair eh? wink

williaminajetfighter Fri 15-Mar-13 22:12:11

Agree with some of the others. It's a bit twee and just a tiny bit precious like Amelie and Isabella.

To me it's just a name that conjures up a certain type of girl who gets cross at mummy and stamps her feet when pony riding lessons are cancelled.

Sorry - all names have associations for people and that's mine!

Coconutty Fri 15-Mar-13 22:15:03

To me, it's an ugly name. Looks ugly written down and sounds ugly when said. Sorry, but you did ask.

piprabbit Fri 15-Mar-13 22:16:16

I like Freya - but there are an awful lot of them about.

Viviennemary Fri 15-Mar-13 22:48:03

It's quite a pretty sounding name. But my opinion is that it's very much of the moment. Class 2013. And will date. But that's only what I think. I might well be wrong.

itinerant Fri 15-Mar-13 22:57:27

I have a Freya, don't drive a 4 x 4, can't stand Boden, but am very middle class wink

My Freya is petite, dark haired and slightly mad. I love her grin

louisianablue2000 Fri 15-Mar-13 23:07:53

I love the name, and seriously considered it until I realised it was gaining in popularity, I think it's now in the top 20. It was a name we considered because of my heritage and I didn't want people to think we'd just gone for a popular name.

We were going to call DS Frida if he'd been a girl.

TheKelda Sat 16-Mar-13 00:21:05

I love it. I'm slightly biased though as it's my baby dd's middle name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now