Unusual names that are a one off - never heard it before or since

(351 Posts)
HoneyandRum Mon 28-Jan-13 11:46:58

I met a lovely little boy and his mum in the US, he was about 5 and was called Caspian.

Maybe a Narnia fan?

likeyoghurt Sun 30-Mar-14 11:07:45

Why not Kefir? I like kefir, yoghurt and cheese! :-)

blueberryupsidedown Wed 13-Feb-13 14:41:37

Oh I went to school with a girl falled Friday Bailey.

storynanny Wed 13-Feb-13 11:26:43

In my many years of teaching I have come across so many lovely and unusual names including
Heaven
Meadow
Snowdrop
Dayzzeee - actual spelling
Axlrose
Pendragon
Dixie
Pixie
And so many more, maybe I could do an a-z

TwinTum Wed 13-Feb-13 10:41:34

Have come across a Wilkinson (Wilkie), Nickleby (Nick) and also a Dimple (a lawyer, disproving the theory that you can't have a serious career with this kind of name). Have also come across a Ladybird as others have (wonder if it is the same one). Named after the wife of one of the US presidents (although in her case it was a nickname). Spanish relative has a friend who is basically called Immaculate Conception (or rather the Spanish spelling and pronounciation). She goes by Ima. Apparently is not that uncommon a name in Spain.

Crusoe Wed 13-Feb-13 10:27:29

I knew a girl called "Tuesday" once.

nancerama Wed 13-Feb-13 10:23:03

I used to rent a house from a lady with a little boy called Valentine. He was a beautiful blond child who did indeed look like a little cherub.

vamosbebe Tue 12-Feb-13 23:19:31

Oh, and a Lamorna (Cornish girl named after a Cornish placename).
Xanthe

More are flooding back to me!

vamosbebe Tue 12-Feb-13 23:16:06

Minette
Bridie
Noetah
Kendra

Don't remember any boys.

Trinpy Tue 12-Feb-13 23:05:57

So is Guy/Gooey an urban myth? My aunt is a teacher and said she had taught someone called this - can't believe she lied to us!

People with unusual names who I have actually met:

Amazon
Fox
Pheonix
Alberta/Bertie
Pollyanna

I've know several Lovedays but I live in Devon where its more common.

Love love love Lettice and want to call any future dd that but worried it might scar her life.

changeforthebetter Tue 12-Feb-13 21:56:15

I teach a Saxon! Brother has an interesting name too grin

changeforthebetter Tue 12-Feb-13 21:54:35

Genovava - may have got the spelling wrong. Madly glam, rather bonkers girl at school. She was vair posh, although not so posh as to avoid a downhill-slide comp in the North. Anyhow fab but ludicrous mediaeval version of Jennifer - apparently grin

Sashapineapple Tue 12-Feb-13 21:38:22

DH just reminded me woman who lived in the flat next to ours was called Fenella.

Sashapineapple Tue 12-Feb-13 21:35:48

Remembered one an old school friend named her DS Boston

I have friends with a daughter named Aphra.

Kowalski Tue 12-Feb-13 20:32:48

At my university there is a Rasmus and a Thorsten (pronounced Torsten). I think both are great names!

Sashapineapple Tue 12-Feb-13 19:52:30

I worked with a woman called Merry. Another lady I know has a daughter called Strawberry, Strawberry must be in her teens now, she had siblings with normal names.

absolutmum Tue 12-Feb-13 12:59:33

My son went to school with a girl called Ladybird. Never met anyone else with that name?

MoppingMummy Mon 11-Feb-13 22:25:36

I have heard of a little girl called 'Amazing Grace'.

out2lunch I also know a female Linley.

The most unusual names I've come across are Cosmo, Elvis, Cairo, Roscoe.

RubyGrace17 Mon 11-Feb-13 10:59:19

Strangely, the Fairy I knew had a brother called Samuel and a sister called Sophie! Fairy was definitely her given name, no middle name either!

Ruby

sashh Mon 11-Feb-13 08:42:55

My DMum used to be a teacher and had a little girl in her class called Ladybird

Wasn't one of the first ladies ccalled that?

I've met an Angel (ponounced ang-hill) a lettuice - pronounced like the salad leaf, Aifric (wonder if it is the same one).

I worked at an internatinal college and some of the African students had fabulous names; Queen, Lazerous......... damn can't think of any more.

I'm suprised there are not more Winnifreds, I had two relations with the name and a girl at school in the 1980s - although she was always 'Fred'.

goldenlula Mon 11-Feb-13 00:45:33

I met a child from Australia called Kermit.

mumzy Sun 10-Feb-13 22:28:41

Worked with someone called Edelweiss

legallyblond Sun 10-Feb-13 19:59:14

I went to school with a Mistry (girl).

My relative was called Keren-Heppuch (always called Keren). It's one of Job's daughters.

MooseyMouse Sun 10-Feb-13 19:22:06

I knew a woman called Kefi which I think is lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now