Unusual names that are a one off - never heard it before or since

(351 Posts)
HoneyandRum Mon 28-Jan-13 11:46:58

I met a lovely little boy and his mum in the US, he was about 5 and was called Caspian.

Maybe a Narnia fan?

nicelyneurotic Sun 10-Feb-13 18:37:44

I've known an Aifric, Daney, Zenobia, Clayton and a Grizelda.

Quite like all those names!

MooseyMouse Sun 10-Feb-13 19:22:06

I knew a woman called Kefi which I think is lovely.

legallyblond Sun 10-Feb-13 19:59:14

I went to school with a Mistry (girl).

My relative was called Keren-Heppuch (always called Keren). It's one of Job's daughters.

mumzy Sun 10-Feb-13 22:28:41

Worked with someone called Edelweiss

goldenlula Mon 11-Feb-13 00:45:33

I met a child from Australia called Kermit.

sashh Mon 11-Feb-13 08:42:55

My DMum used to be a teacher and had a little girl in her class called Ladybird

Wasn't one of the first ladies ccalled that?

I've met an Angel (ponounced ang-hill) a lettuice - pronounced like the salad leaf, Aifric (wonder if it is the same one).

I worked at an internatinal college and some of the African students had fabulous names; Queen, Lazerous......... damn can't think of any more.

I'm suprised there are not more Winnifreds, I had two relations with the name and a girl at school in the 1980s - although she was always 'Fred'.

RubyGrace17 Mon 11-Feb-13 10:59:19

Strangely, the Fairy I knew had a brother called Samuel and a sister called Sophie! Fairy was definitely her given name, no middle name either!

Ruby

out2lunch I also know a female Linley.

The most unusual names I've come across are Cosmo, Elvis, Cairo, Roscoe.

MoppingMummy Mon 11-Feb-13 22:25:36

I have heard of a little girl called 'Amazing Grace'.

absolutmum Tue 12-Feb-13 12:59:33

My son went to school with a girl called Ladybird. Never met anyone else with that name?

Sashapineapple Tue 12-Feb-13 19:52:30

I worked with a woman called Merry. Another lady I know has a daughter called Strawberry, Strawberry must be in her teens now, she had siblings with normal names.

Kowalski Tue 12-Feb-13 20:32:48

At my university there is a Rasmus and a Thorsten (pronounced Torsten). I think both are great names!

I have friends with a daughter named Aphra.

Sashapineapple Tue 12-Feb-13 21:35:48

Remembered one an old school friend named her DS Boston

Sashapineapple Tue 12-Feb-13 21:38:22

DH just reminded me woman who lived in the flat next to ours was called Fenella.

changeforthebetter Tue 12-Feb-13 21:54:35

Genovava - may have got the spelling wrong. Madly glam, rather bonkers girl at school. She was vair posh, although not so posh as to avoid a downhill-slide comp in the North. Anyhow fab but ludicrous mediaeval version of Jennifer - apparently grin

changeforthebetter Tue 12-Feb-13 21:56:15

I teach a Saxon! Brother has an interesting name too grin

Trinpy Tue 12-Feb-13 23:05:57

So is Guy/Gooey an urban myth? My aunt is a teacher and said she had taught someone called this - can't believe she lied to us!

People with unusual names who I have actually met:

Amazon
Fox
Pheonix
Alberta/Bertie
Pollyanna

I've know several Lovedays but I live in Devon where its more common.

Love love love Lettice and want to call any future dd that but worried it might scar her life.

vamosbebe Tue 12-Feb-13 23:16:06

Minette
Bridie
Noetah
Kendra

Don't remember any boys.

vamosbebe Tue 12-Feb-13 23:19:31

Oh, and a Lamorna (Cornish girl named after a Cornish placename).
Xanthe

More are flooding back to me!

nancerama Wed 13-Feb-13 10:23:03

I used to rent a house from a lady with a little boy called Valentine. He was a beautiful blond child who did indeed look like a little cherub.

Crusoe Wed 13-Feb-13 10:27:29

I knew a girl called "Tuesday" once.

TwinTum Wed 13-Feb-13 10:41:34

Have come across a Wilkinson (Wilkie), Nickleby (Nick) and also a Dimple (a lawyer, disproving the theory that you can't have a serious career with this kind of name). Have also come across a Ladybird as others have (wonder if it is the same one). Named after the wife of one of the US presidents (although in her case it was a nickname). Spanish relative has a friend who is basically called Immaculate Conception (or rather the Spanish spelling and pronounciation). She goes by Ima. Apparently is not that uncommon a name in Spain.

storynanny Wed 13-Feb-13 11:26:43

In my many years of teaching I have come across so many lovely and unusual names including
Heaven
Meadow
Snowdrop
Dayzzeee - actual spelling
Axlrose
Pendragon
Dixie
Pixie
And so many more, maybe I could do an a-z

blueberryupsidedown Wed 13-Feb-13 14:41:37

Oh I went to school with a girl falled Friday Bailey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now