Names you secretly like but could never burden a child with?

(164 Posts)
ThroughTheRoundWindow Sun 27-Jan-13 20:17:26

Was talking baby names with my husband yesterday and he admitted to wanting to name a son Aubrey. When I stopped laughing he agreed that it might lead to a little bit of bullying. But then I love
Evelyn (for a boy!) which is equally bad...

Have you or your DP got a secret soft spot for a name that might not go down so well in the playground?

BNmum Sun 27-Jan-13 20:22:31

My husband liked Ludvig when i was pregnant. I thought it was one big joke, but apparently not. Suffice to say we didn't call our child that!

MolotovCocktail Sun 27-Jan-13 20:24:16

I like Rufus, DH likes Emmett for a boy, but both of us agree that these named could cause teasing.

For girls, I like Evangeline and DH likes Sissy but I think Evangeline is too flouncy for RL. Sissy has quite obvious teasing value. Both of us love Lolita, but the literary connotations have transgressed into real life. People would have an automatic assumption about Lolita, IMHO.

FWIW, I really like Aubrey. And Auden smile

NickNacks Sun 27-Jan-13 20:24:35

I like Katie

But I'd spell it Katey and I'd never do it because it's wrong!

catladycourtney1 Sun 27-Jan-13 20:26:37

Thor. And if I'd been having a boy I might well have gone for it, so it's probably a good job that I'm not.

Gideon. Emrys.

NaicePig Sun 27-Jan-13 20:30:17

FWIW I know a beautiful wee Aubrey, the family are a bit batty though.

Velve Sun 27-Jan-13 20:30:21

I love Vyvyan for a boy.

NaicePig Sun 27-Jan-13 20:31:19

Oooh, Gideon. LOVE that.

I actually really like Kim for a boy. Wouldn't do it though.

BNmum Sun 27-Jan-13 20:31:26

We also really like Rufus. We said if we had a dog we would call him that but if we have another boy i could be tempted. I don't think that it would be a burden on a child...maybe i need to think again?

egdeh Sun 27-Jan-13 20:32:09

Otto but never had a dd so didn't have to have the battle with DH.

egdeh Sun 27-Jan-13 20:33:00

DS not dd - even I wouldn't call a girl Otto!

SingingSands Sun 27-Jan-13 20:34:29

What's wrong with Rufus and Emmett? I know one of each, great names and no teasing as far as I know!

DH loved the name Hermione for years, then DD was born at the height of Harry Potter mania. Needless to say we shelved that name. Shame really, DD is OBSESSED with Harry Potter and would probably love to be called Hermione!

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 27-Jan-13 20:35:56

Delilah but won't because of the Tom jones song

ThroughTheRoundWindow Sun 27-Jan-13 20:36:26

Gideon is a great name. Although I had a hot tutor at uni called Gideon so I maybe biased...

My husband is also rooting for Aethelstan. I think hope he's joking.

MrsDeVere Sun 27-Jan-13 20:42:05

Ha ha.
My OH is called Aubrey. He is a largly built, tall, black geezer. His DM had 12 kids and was quite fanciful in her naming habits grin

Poor bugger was in the army too so you can just imagine how his name went down there....

I like Bethsheba/Bathsheba.

expatinscotland Sun 27-Jan-13 20:45:44

Egeria, because I love this sculpture of her I saw once.

WMDinthekitchen Sun 27-Jan-13 20:48:17

Gudrun
Fabian

starfleet Sun 27-Jan-13 20:51:00

Catlady - DS has a friend at school who has Thor as his middle name!

Gideon has been ruined by George Osborne.

Mine would be Zephaniah. I love the name but not sure I'd be brave enough to use it.

Gloriana - must stop reading books about Elizabeth I.

DH liked Tatiana when I was pregnant, and Svetlana and Natalia. Not sure what the Slavic thing is all about. Thankfully we had a boy.

I like Aubrey, and it's a traditional name in parts of Scotland. Strangely I've known male and female Aubreys although I'd initially assumed it was a boys name.

BarryShitpeas Sun 27-Jan-13 21:06:41

Cornelius
Igor

Samu2 Sun 27-Jan-13 21:06:47

Heavenly

shock

perfectmummy Sun 27-Jan-13 21:07:11

spike! love it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now