South East - how many Emilias?

(35 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Sat 26-Jan-13 07:56:55

Parents in South East England (especially Buckinghamshire), please could you tell me honestly how many girls you know called Emilia, how old they are & how they pronounce it / shorten it (if you know).

Was massively put off this name by popularity, but there is simply nothing DH & I love as much. We'd picked it out years ago before it was popular due to my love of Shakespeare plus it goes well with our foreign surname.

So how many are there really in this area? There's none (yet!) at DS' nursery....

redandwhitesprinkles Thu 31-Jan-13 15:55:36

Lots of Emilia's in West London, most from eastern European heritage. Basically just Amelia spelt differently.

OkayHazel Thu 31-Jan-13 15:53:08

My cousin in one, she's 6. Her dad calls her Meelie.

qumquat Wed 30-Jan-13 18:11:55

I don't know any, but I think most people will pronounce it the same as Amelia as the difference is very subtle, and Amelia is one of the most popular names in the uk. (not that that would bother me, but I know it bothers lots of people here)

shoobidoo Wed 30-Jan-13 10:45:35

We're in Surrey and I know 2 Emilias under ten, several Emilys as well as one Amelia. So yes, pretty popular round here.

mayanna123 Tue 29-Jan-13 18:31:27

We know several little Emilias, Amelias, Emilys, Amelies and I too feel they are all quite 'trendy' at the moment.

Montsti Tue 29-Jan-13 14:48:43

Forgot to mention that I also know a lot of Emilys and a few Amelies too...

Montsti Tue 29-Jan-13 14:48:03

I live abroad but am from the UK and still know a lot of people there. I know only one Emilia who is about 3 months old and in SW London. It's my favourite girl's name but my sis-in-law named her daughter Amelia so I didn't go for it. If I had, I would've given her the nn. Emmy/Emi as I know a lot of Millies (and Lillys/Mollys/Tillys etc..). It's a pain that Amelia is so popular though.

But if you love the name I would go for it!

HoneyandRum Mon 28-Jan-13 05:13:06

Amelie, Amelia, Emilia - all with a very similar sound are very fashionable and wildly popular. I know three Amelies ages 6, 9 & 15. If you absolutely love a name use it, but be resigned to the fact that it is the current Zeitgeist.

And it's been mentioned on the 'most over popular' baby names thread a few times too.

MacaroniSaysShetlandPony Sun 27-Jan-13 11:23:19

Know 2 Amelies and 2 Amelias, all under 3. No Emilias, however. And no nicknames as yet.

Yes, I am a bit fed up that it has got more popular but I don't own it so what can I do grin. She does have a nickname- Mimi.

castelli Sun 27-Jan-13 10:21:06

Our DD (age 4) is called Emilia (nn Milly). We live in a very family area of Surrey. We haven't come across any Emilias yet other than a baby of a friend of a friend. There are approx 40 pupils at her pre-school and we have been very active on the playgroup scene!

Nor have we come across any Amelias although we do know an Amelie.

I think it's a classic yet pretty name and have no regrets!

Allinonebucket Sun 27-Jan-13 10:18:05

I know two. One in London, age 2, one in Essex, age 4.
Both Polish come to think of it.

mummybare Sun 27-Jan-13 10:00:43

I know a 3-year-old Amelie, a 4-year-old Emiliana and a 1-year-old Emily, but no Emilias. We're in Surrey.

FWIW, I think it's a beautiful name.

BoyMeetsWorld Sun 27-Jan-13 09:29:07

Thanks Bike - just had a look and it's not featured anywhere near as highly as I'd expected. Amelia obviously is and some other variations, but not Emilia. Of course we'll get loads of people thinking we just wanted a quirkier version of an incredibly popular name. But due to the historical roots and the fact it fits so well with our surname, I think we'll go for this if DC2 is a little girl. Unless it was actually Top 10 common (in reality, not countrywide stats) I do t think it's reason to be put off a name we both love...

BikeRunSki Sun 27-Jan-13 08:46:04

if you look on the Office for National Statistics baby name page, they do breakdowns by region too.

mammmamia Sun 27-Jan-13 08:44:16

I'm v close to herts and bucks. Don't know any but know loads of Amelia's.

juneau Sun 27-Jan-13 08:41:59

I don't know any (Herts). Amelie, yes, Amelia, yes, but Emilia? No.

Kt8791 Sun 27-Jan-13 08:41:02

One here (Surrey) she is two.

Not heard of any here (Essex). I've not met any Amelias either. Every other baby here seems to be called Isobel.

BoyMeetsWorld Sun 27-Jan-13 08:26:55

For what it's worth, we'd be pronouncing it with a strong emphasis on the middle part (as MILI rather than meelie) and therefore with nn Milla (like Camilla) or Millie, though we do also like Em/Emmie.

We accept some people would inevitably say it more like Amelia.

BoyMeetsWorld Sun 27-Jan-13 08:23:33

That's interesting toughas - do you ever get fed up with her name because of it growing in popularity or are you still happy with it? And do you give her any nn's?

HouseOfBears Sun 27-Jan-13 05:13:50

I've never met one and I'm in SE. I would pronounce it EMeeelia.

I have one, it was really unusual when she was born ten years ago, it has become much more popular in the last few years. I know another two younger ones.

andadietcoke Sat 26-Jan-13 22:42:15

I know one, with a nn of Emmie or Em.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now