Advice please. How popular are popular boys names?

(36 Posts)
scoutfinch1 Thu 17-Jan-13 21:57:55

We are expecting DC1 and have started to think about names. Quite a few of the names we like are fairly popular and high up the popularity rankings. Basically what I am wondering is in real life terms how popular are the popular names? This applies to boys names rather than girls as most of the girls names we like are more unusual.

I'm not looking for a name that has to be different or unusual but I would like to avoid DS being one of several in a class. Although I know that there is a chance this could happen even if you choose a very unusual name, I was wondering where in the rankings should you be looking (if it matters at all) to try and avoid this? Are there any particular names where this will always be the case?

Also, I suppose the other half of the question is even if DS does have a fairly popular name does this really matter? I know this is a pretty controversial subject but I don't want to reject a name we like on the grounds of popularity and regret it or vice versa.

Any thoughts or opinions would be very much appreciated.

cece Fri 18-Jan-13 17:06:04

The longer version of DS2 name is in the top 10 or 20 I think.

At Nursery (about 30 children or so) he is the only boy with that name. At the childminders there are 3 of them! LOL (out of about 6 chilkdren).

So you can never tell.

DD on the other hand has a name that was about No. 150 when we named her. There were 2 in her Brownie pack of 20 girls.

Just go with what you like rather than worry about how popular a name is. They are popular for a reason - they are good names!

lljkk Fri 18-Jan-13 17:09:07

Go below top 20 if you want something kinda unique.

That said, Jasmine is out of top 20 for girls and it is easily the most common girl name around here in many years (with variant spellings).

You could always ask the registrar? smile

VinegarDrinker Fri 18-Jan-13 17:09:36

I know lots of Sams, Bens and Maxs.

DS has a fairly common name but haven't come across another IRL yet (he's nearly 2) .

DewDr0p Fri 18-Jan-13 17:12:13

As someone already said there seem to be less boys' names than girls' names. So there will naturally be quite a lot of little boys with the top 10 names around - it's difficult to predict regional variations though (ds2's name is now top 20 I think but we know noone with the same name!)

Dh has a name that was very popular at the time he was born - there were always 3 or 4 of them in the class and hated it - he also hates the shortened version (and it's so common that people seem to shorten without asking)

Hence we tried to choose slightly more unusual but hopefully not too pretentious names for our boys.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 18-Jan-13 17:33:05

But hellokitty, in the work place you are competing across time for uniqueness of name. It will never happen unless you go well outside the norm..

At my current work place there are three very senior Pauls. People just always use their last name as well when it would otherwise not be clear.

Smudging Fri 18-Jan-13 17:35:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Smudging Fri 18-Jan-13 17:37:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BackforGood Fri 18-Jan-13 17:44:27

I had my ds before MN was invented, and I didn't know anything about lists of popular names, but I'm guessing his name must have been in the top 3 most popular names of the year.
He's never been in a group / class / club / lesson without someone else who shares his name. Once he went on a Scout camp where there were 11 Scouts. 4 of them were girls, of the 7 boys, 4 of them had the same name.

How much this would bother you I don't know. It doesn't bother him. It tends to lead to a lot more nick names being used (to differentiate) - would that bother you ? I know it meant that when dds 1 and 2 were born, they were given traditional, but not "popular" names at the times of their births, and they both like the fact they very, very rarely come across other dcs with the same name as them.

What I'm saying is, the most popular ones are very popular, but, if it's your favourite name, then it doesn't need to be a really big problem. smile

bigbluebump Fri 18-Jan-13 21:49:55

"But hellokitty, in the work place you are competing across time for uniqueness of name. It will never happen unless you go well outside the norm.."

I don't think you need to go well outside the norm, I think you just need to go outside the top 100 or so. Yes, there will be lots of Pauls, Steves, Mikes and in 20 years there will be lots of Jacks, Harrys and Olivers.

But how many, for example, Dominics, Reubens, Magnuses, Clements are there? Or Tristans, Christians, Gregors? There are lots and lots of lovely normal names that aren't as overused as the top 50 ones.

wigglesrock Fri 18-Jan-13 21:58:47

My dd2 just started primary school and the duplicates for boys across a year of 66 pupils are Ben and Ethan. She herself has a really popular name (all my daughters do), she is the only one in the intake with that name. However there are 2 girls with the same name and its quite an unusual name. So its just luck I think.

I picked my daughters names solely on my favourite name at the time ( I didn't even check to see if their initials spelt out anything blush) and have never regretted it.

scoutfinch1 Fri 18-Jan-13 22:17:47

Thank you! Well no one has mentioned any of the names we were thinking of so that's good. Will just have to have a think about which of the names we love and go from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now