Is Bathsheba useable?

(88 Posts)
Quesadillo Wed 02-Jan-13 20:30:55

That's it really. Yes, get the King David story, naked roof-bathing and Thomas Hardy and all that.

So the question is: could a RL person carry off this name?

sasamaxx Thu 03-Jan-13 22:48:28

I love it - Bathsheba Everdine - a great literary name, and Sheba reminds me of Handel's Arrival of the Queen of Sheba. not catfood.
great name!

sausagesandwich34 Thu 03-Jan-13 22:48:57

I know a Bethsheba but she will have to kill you if she finds out you know her real name!

she goes by Beth and is quite happy for people to assume it is short for Elizabeth -she even answers to it!

sasamaxx Thu 03-Jan-13 22:55:03

everdene - sorry
"he liked saying 'Bathsheba' as a private enjoyment instead of whistling;turned over his taste to black hair, though he had sworn by Brown ever since he was a boy, isolated himself till the space he filled in the public eye was contemptibly small. Love is a possible strength in an actual weakness'
amaze!

nkf Fri 04-Jan-13 08:37:43

I am definitely going to dig out my copy of Far From The Madding Crowd.

MummyTeach85 Fri 04-Jan-13 11:34:36

Love that the Felix mention stopped all talk of Sheba being related to cat food. Felix is an incredibly popular name for boys with or without pet food comparisons.

I know a Bathsheba and she is lovely, she comes from a very well to do family and it not hippy with it at all, she doesnt really shorten it to anything but has other non name related nicknames. And as someone with an unusual name which is forever mispronounced or misspelt and was never shortened by anyone until I met my DH 5 years ago I think there is nothing wrong with unusual names. It wont be on the top 100 list, and she will probably not meet many girls with her name. Not many children will have this privilage

It is unique name and when she arrives is she looks Bathsehba like I do not see any problem with you using this name. Stick with what you like and love. She is your baby.

seeker Fri 04-Jan-13 11:53:05

There is a difference between a well established name like Felix which is also a brand name, and a very unusual name like Sheba, which for many people is only a cat food.

Celticlassie Fri 04-Jan-13 12:14:23

Was 'Biba' in The PoisonTree also a Bathsheba? Or am I making that up?

Moominsarehippos Fri 04-Jan-13 12:21:39

I like Felix for it's meaning (although in my head I sing 'the wonderful, wonderful cat!').

Lord Adonis and Venus Williams get away with it. Bethsheba Jones who is the accountant in the planning department won't.

squoosh Fri 04-Jan-13 12:23:54

'There is a difference between a well established name like Felix which is also a brand name, and a very unusual name like Sheba, which for many people is only a cat food.'

For you maybe, I don't see any difference. If anything Felix has a far stronger cat association in my mind than Sheba what with the cat food and the cartoon.

everlong Fri 04-Jan-13 12:27:07

I would associate Felix a million more times with cat food than Sheba!

Felix the cat was has been going for years as has the cat food.

Both gorgeous names..

nkf Fri 04-Jan-13 12:27:27

To me, Felix is a cat food and a cat. Sheba is queen of. Bathsheba is somebody quite different.

everlong Fri 04-Jan-13 12:31:43

I want something now to call Bathsheba..

lockets Fri 04-Jan-13 12:56:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nkf Fri 04-Jan-13 12:59:50

Goldfish? Two of them. Bathsheba and Eustacia.

everlong Fri 04-Jan-13 13:02:43

grin we had Mabel and Rose for guinea pigs and a hamster called Harriet..

Can't you tell I only had sons!

everlong Fri 04-Jan-13 13:03:52

I kill goldfish not on purpose mind, but somehow they never live long

ImNotaPheasantPlucker Fri 04-Jan-13 13:05:35

Well, I like it!

Sheba, however, is a German Shepherd dog kind of name.

So ner!

everlong Fri 04-Jan-13 13:08:17

No, it's a human name that people call their dog ( in this past ) Like Oscar, Sam and Poppy.

Fido, patch, fluffy are real names for dogs.

lockets Fri 04-Jan-13 13:11:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PoppyAmex Fri 04-Jan-13 13:13:46

Didn't OP say it's HER name?

If so, poor thing reading all this!

Anyway, I think it's a perfectly nice name.

BobbiFleckmann Fri 04-Jan-13 13:13:55

it's a brilliant name, and yes, Biba from teh Poison Tree is a Bathsheba (god the hours of my life i'll never get back from reading that book...)

everlong Fri 04-Jan-13 13:16:35

Haha yes beautiful Rex. A lovely name. A long time ago when I was little 40 odd years ago we had a dog called Rex. But now it's not popular as a dogs name. Dogs used to be called Major, Prince, Spot etc instead of human names. I have a cat called Ned and a dog called Evie

No. Thought it was some sort of product for bathing babies. Or cats.

Actually, on second thoughts, I do think it's a nice name, but upon reading it, the above is what I thought first1

delilah88 Fri 04-Jan-13 14:42:17

No I think it's stilly. Not the same but I met a grown woman called Sappho at an NCT and thought it ridiculous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now