What do you think of Ada?

(59 Posts)

Due with DD2 in a month. DD1 is Tabitha. We both love Ada but I have slight reservations because its so short - not sure why that's making me think twice. Middle name possibly Grace or Poppy...

BaileyBillyBooBoo Tue 01-Jan-13 20:57:27

I think Ada is lovely!

gingercats Tue 01-Jan-13 20:58:53

Ada Grace sounds really nice. Pretty name and fairly unusual, congrats!

tigerdriverII Tue 01-Jan-13 20:59:50

Sorry but it makes me think of the granny of my next door neighbours when I was a kid about million years ago. She wasn't someone you'd want your DD to be like! Ava, on the other hand....

It was actually my nana's name :D

Ava is too popular for me, and I went to school with a bitch called Ava.

I think Ada is a beautiful name.

BillyBollyBrandy Tue 01-Jan-13 21:04:31

I love Ada, also my nan's name! I like it as a nn for Adelaide as well. DH didn't the bugger

HelpOneAnother Tue 01-Jan-13 21:11:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Haberdashery Tue 01-Jan-13 21:17:21

I think Ada is fab, though I don't like your choice of middle names so much. Grace is OK and I do see that it's nice to have a more usual surname if you have an unusual first name. Ada Lovelace was an amazing woman.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Lovelace

I just think there's a chance she might not like her name then she can use the middle one. Hopefully wont be necessary though.
My first name means Grace so I like that for that reason, DH likes the name Poppy so I thought it was a good way of including it.
We are planning on going for 3rd eventually though and if that's a girl we'll need a name in reserve!

Catchingmockingbirds Wed 02-Jan-13 12:44:16

At first I thought it said asda blush, I don't like it sorry, it's awful.

PoppyWearer Wed 02-Jan-13 12:45:45

I've heard of a couple of baby Ada's in the past few years (London/South East) - both mums were Turkish, it was pronounced "Adda". I really like it!

We would pronounce it Ay-da, that's the traditional pronunciation I think.

tunnocksteacake Wed 02-Jan-13 12:53:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 02-Jan-13 12:54:16

I like it.

My DP has a friend with a little girl called Ada smile

12ylnon Wed 02-Jan-13 16:35:20

Ada is beautiful. Great for a little girl and a woman imo. Reminds me of cold mountain.

BadBuddha Wed 02-Jan-13 16:38:23

I like it. I know an Aida, also pronounced 'ay-da', which is nice too.

Love it! Still two syllables so only seems short on paper.

Dds name is Meg and sometimes sounds too short when I say it grin

I also love Veda (like the girl off My Girl)

12ylnon Wed 02-Jan-13 16:40:06

Just please not grace as a middle name....

Blanketsandpillows Wed 02-Jan-13 16:41:57

Love it

thegreylady Wed 02-Jan-13 16:53:53

I think its awful-sorry blush and Tabitha is so lovely it would be a shame to give dd2 a less pretty name.I remember some years ago meeting a woman whose newborn dd was Ada Muriel ...
Ava is prettier I think.

msrisotto Wed 02-Jan-13 16:58:36

I really like the name Ada, reminds me of Ada Lovelace, a great woman! Veda is cool too.

ByTheWay1 Wed 02-Jan-13 16:59:19

lol - I also thought you'd missed out an S - asda.....

I do not think it is as "pretty" as Tabitha....... my cousins were Tabitha and Sabrina which always sounded so cool to me....

Arisbottle Wed 02-Jan-13 16:59:55

I also read it as Asda.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now