Is Megan dated or a classic?

(57 Posts)
signuptoday Sun 30-Dec-12 11:52:18

Hi, I've been looking at some old threads about names DH and I like for DD and someone mentioned that Megan is a 90s name?

Do you agree? Was it in fashion a few years ago and now sounds dated. I really like it and had thought it was timeless but now am not so sure. Also do you know many Megans?

blueshoes Sun 30-Dec-12 20:55:15

I would associate it with being an American name too. But then again, I am not from UK.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 30-Dec-12 20:56:31

Tegan is also Welsh smile

Greensleeves Sun 30-Dec-12 21:00:11

No, Megan is not the only proper spelling

Meghann is also a legitimate form. Popular in Ireland.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 30-Dec-12 21:03:35

It is in Wales,where the name originates.

Greensleeves Sun 30-Dec-12 21:23:22

Are you saying that the Irish variant is "wrong" then? Because if so you are talking rubbish.

What a weird thing to have a nationalistic bee in your bonnet about confused

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 30-Dec-12 22:28:40

It is wrong to me personally.

I wouldn't flip out and start telling Irish Meghanns their name was wrong. Because I'm not rude and in real life I doubt they would say "what do you think of how I spell my name".

I don't think I'm being particularly "nationalistic" either.

Greensleeves Sun 30-Dec-12 22:30:50

"There's only one way of spelling Megan.

The rest well,wrong." was your original post. Which was bull.

But you've back-pedalled now, so all is fine grin

3monkeys Sun 30-Dec-12 22:32:59

I have one, she's 11. I think it's lovely

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 30-Dec-12 22:33:45

Er I haven't back pedalled.

That was my personal opinion. In response I restated that yes,in my opinion the variations are wrong.

I just added I wouldn't run around telling people with that name because it would be rude grin

I have a Megan. She is 11.

HoHoBrandyButter Sun 30-Dec-12 22:36:40

DH teaches a lot of Megans who are now secondary school age. Like the name though but it is quite popular in that age group.

Greensleeves Sun 30-Dec-12 22:36:52

There is a difference between "wrong, to me" and "wrong, full stop"

And in saying you wouldn't tell an Irish Meghann (does that mean an American Meagan as well?) that their name was wrong, you're confirming one of two things: either a) you know your opinion is petty and unfounded, or b) your views are unlikely to inconvenience anyone because you don't have the courage of your convictions

which makes you neither here nor there, really

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 30-Dec-12 22:40:55

It doesn't come up in normal conversation generally speaking. It's hardly petty and unfounded,it's based on the language of origin.

Why does it bother you so? I wouldn't get upset about an Irish person thinking Nia was wrong and it should be Niamh. I might listen instead of getting passive aggressive about it even.

Greensleeves Sun 30-Dec-12 22:43:03

I'm aggressive aggressive. Nothing passive about me.

I don't like name fascism ( or any other kind). I dislike people saying that their culturally familiar version of something is the only valid one. And.... it isn't true. Ditto Nia and Niamh - it would be an unusual person, Irish or otherwise, who claimed that one was a false or "wrong" form of the other. And if they did, it would be bollocks.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 30-Dec-12 22:47:38

I don't agree with you,you don't agree with me. There isn't any more to discuss.

MrsOzz Sun 30-Dec-12 22:53:40

I would not say it is classic, so maybe a tad dated. Similar to Louise and Hannah, they have been very popular in the past, but unlike Karen and Stacey, they are still reasonably popular.

As an aside Nia (Knee-ah) and Niamh (Neave) are completely different names.

blueshoes Sun 30-Dec-12 23:00:09

Ali, I personally thought your questioning delilah about how a Welsh name can 'sound American' was odd. Surely it can be both depending on the context in which you hear it.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 30-Dec-12 23:08:25

I found it odd she thought it sounded American. Because I didn't know what context she had heard it in.

I wasn't intending to offend delilah. I was curious.

blueshoes Mon 31-Dec-12 00:45:04

Megan Fox is a American actress who is very much in the news.

Therefore, associating Megan with sounding American is not that huge a leap.

Fanjango Mon 31-Dec-12 00:48:25

I have a Megan and a Teagan. Love the welsh names as I am half welsh.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 31-Dec-12 01:15:37

True enough blueshoes. Perhaps as a person who is interested in names generally speaking I am surprised people don't google names and meanings before naming children.

<<not sure why people are so upset by my views. I'll learn to live with it though>>

CordeliaChase Mon 31-Dec-12 01:45:46

Its a lovely name. My childminders daughter is called Megan, she's 15 and such a lovely girl. I think it always helps a name if you know a nice person with it haha!

redrubyshoes Mon 31-Dec-12 01:58:30

I know four Megans all aged between 10 and 14. My god-daughter is a Megan and she also has two class mates named Megan, they are all ten.

Yep, very much a zeitgeist name.

ProtegeMoi Mon 31-Dec-12 02:22:50

I have a Megan so obviously love the name.

blueshoes Mon 31-Dec-12 08:42:34

Ali, I am not upset by your views. I am not even interested in names generally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now