I have fallen in love with a name, what would you think if you met a child called....

(136 Posts)

Moriarty?

CaHoHoHootz Thu 20-Dec-12 21:25:14

How is Tiernan pronounced. I think I might like it a lot but I am guessing on how to say it blush

AbandonHopeAllYe Thu 20-Dec-12 21:28:28

tEAr-nan,

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 20-Dec-12 21:28:31

Ti - nan

nitsparty Thu 20-Dec-12 21:30:17

no. I love unusual names, but not joke names. Please, Please, no.

find out what you like about it and do something else. Morris, Morrie, Archie?

twentythirteen Thu 20-Dec-12 21:30:33

I LOVE IT!!! I'VE ALWAYS WISHED I WAS BRAVE ENOUGH TO USE IT. WILLIAM BURROUGHS - ON THE ROAD ANYONE???

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 20-Dec-12 21:31:05

Sorry missed the middle Ti - er - nan as in tiny tears

echidnakid Fri 21-Dec-12 03:08:25

Twentythirteen - On the Road is by Jack Kerouac.

My first thought on hearing Moriarty is "Sherlock Holmes' nemesis" which is not necessarily a bad thing as I love SH but the connection is very strong. I think it's too much as a first name but it would be great as a quirky middle name.

kerala Fri 21-Dec-12 10:39:24

Do you have pregnancy brain? I was keen on some real shockers whilst pregnant - Lorelei anyone (and our surname begins with L). Thank god I came to my senses!

DinosaursOnASleigh Fri 21-Dec-12 10:51:27

OP here with Christmas name change

Where exp is from is a difficult question, depending on whether you believe life begins at conception or birth (I know, I know) because exmil is South, Exfil is North (or the other way around) so depending on who you ask exp is either from the North where he was conceived or the the South where he was born (or the other way round) I don't know where he was actually born as I switched off and learnt never to ask again. Religion and politics, don't discuss them around inlaws! I think it maybe C.Down as there was some flag waving at the parade this year.

Which is part of the reason why we can't use my favourite boys name - Derry. "Oh like C.Derry?" Says mil. If I say Yes I am glared at by someone for not saying LondonDerry, so I can't win. It offends someone.

I know it sounds stupid but politics and religion run deep among them (you should've seen the fallout over Christenings - CofE or Catholic!)

Which is why I can't have the name Rhurui (spelt wrong I know) as it is 'orange' whatever the hell that means.

I might just go for Paddy and have done with it!

TwoFacedCows Fri 21-Dec-12 11:02:20

i LOVE paddy! grin

GlaikitFizzogTheChristmasElf Fri 21-Dec-12 14:50:49

Nowt wrong with paddy, and its a nn of paidriag you mentioned before.

Paidriag moriarty has a certain ring to it!

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 21-Dec-12 16:49:01

Paddy is a great name ! I have never heard of Ruairi bring a Protestant name though.

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Fri 21-Dec-12 16:56:48

I'm sorry but I think it's dreadful, I feel for the poor child - life's hard enough...

lljkk Fri 21-Dec-12 17:01:47

I'd be looking around for a cat not a child, tbh.
I can't think of any NNs I'd like for it, either.

lljkk Fri 21-Dec-12 17:02:06

Guess Artie is okay, but then all will assume his proper name is Arthur.

CaHoHoHootz Fri 21-Dec-12 19:31:58

confused Artie shock .......as in Artie Fartie. I don't think so......

miffybun73 Fri 21-Dec-12 20:46:24

I absolutely love it, but not sure that I'd be brave enough to go for it myself.

miffybun73 Fri 21-Dec-12 20:47:01

Also, I absolutely adore Paddy too.

WantAnOrange Sat 22-Dec-12 09:14:47

DD's nickname is Arty and no-one assumes her name is Arthur wink. We often call her Arty Farty though, because she is!

serin Sat 22-Dec-12 13:54:40

My cousin is a huge Irish farmer known as Patsy!
I wouldn't be the one to tease him!!

Moriarty sounds very poncey (sorry)

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Sat 22-Dec-12 14:00:47

I would think you had lost your marbles grin

As if Moriarty wasn't bad enough, you want to shorted it to Murray? Murry - FFS woman, get a grip!

<well, you did ask>

copyandpaste Mon 24-Dec-12 03:52:04

I'd think, wow pretty unusual name there! But tbh they would probably shorten it and once you get used to someone it just becomes their name doesn't it? I don't think many people are 'saddled' by a name, personality is personality!

enjay0811 Sun 06-Jan-13 18:26:31

Despite the harsh comments, I really like moriarty! Unusual but one of those names tht u jst get used to and cldnt imagine calling dc anything else! Go with it if u love it.

williaminajetfighter Sun 06-Jan-13 18:30:07

I like it shortened to Mori or Maury ad in Maury povich. Sadly!

montmartre Tue 26-Feb-13 22:54:54

Isn't Moriarty his surname?
I do know a Mycroft however...

Have you had it yet dinosaurs?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now