Irish Boys Names - Donnacha or Conor

(29 Posts)
SquealyB Tue 18-Dec-12 15:39:15

DH and I are expecting DC1 in January. We don't know whether we are expecting a DS or a DD.

We have a girl's name we love but we are struggling a bit with our potential boy's name.

I am Irish but live in London, DH is English and we are keen to reflect our baby's Irish heritage. DH loves the name Conor but I am concered it is a little over used. We both like Donnacha (pr - Don aka) but I am concerned this might be a bit too unusual and am not sure what people will make of it in London.

Any thoughts??

EbbNFlow Wed 09-Jan-13 16:01:13

Donnacha is lovely.

Connor is very very popular and has been for years.

atthewelles Wed 09-Jan-13 16:03:45

I doubt there's a school in Ireland that doesn't have at least a dozen Conors. It was totally out of fashion when I was young but really took off again about fifteen years ago.

AThingInYourLife Wed 09-Jan-13 16:09:37

English people won't pronounce the ch in Donnacha.

Or the broad D.

Or the initial u rather than o sound.

It's Dhunucha, so not sure how you get Don as a nickname.

I wouldn't touch a name like Donnacha unless I was living in Ireland.

And both sides of the family were Irish.

undercoverdad Fri 06-Sep-13 10:59:21

A friend of mine called her boy Donnacha, and I always thought it looked like a girl's name, for two reasons - "Donna", and the fact that it ends in "a". I came across this thread while researching the origins of the name, and while I agree that it's a lovely name, I wonder whether it might be perceived as girly in England.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now