Racism and naming baby

(29 Posts)
Quinandthem Tue 11-Dec-12 17:11:48

Need the help of MN or a slap

My husband is British but his parents are both from 2 different continents. Our surname is actually Bangladeshi but many people mistake it for Spanish from the sound and spelling of it.

We are now 11 wks pregnant and obviously thinking about names. My husband has a ‘foreign’ first and last name and although he says he hasn’t experienced any racism with it (in the workplace – getting interviews etc) it does make me concerned when we are choosing a name for the baby as a ‘typical English’ name just wouldn’t fit with the surname.

This has been brought more to my attention as it was in the news this week about people with ‘foreign’ names not getting shortlisted for jobs and even having to change their names just to get a job.

Obviously in an ideal world racism wouldn’t exist – but it does.

We have found a really nice girl’s name, Sophia that would go really nicely with the surname. But we’re generally struggling with boy’s names that we both like and that go with the surname.

So do we choose a name that we like and works well with the surname or do we choose something that is a bit more ‘normal’ to the average ear?

Or am I just over thinking it?

InNeedOfBrandyButter Thu 13-Dec-12 15:47:34

I have no idea Gin, just something I read.

Will have a google and see if I can find said article.

chipmonkey Thu 13-Dec-12 18:16:52

There's a journalist here in Ireland called Dmitri O'Donnell. I love it!

Confitdecanard Thu 13-Dec-12 19:10:30

I'm a teacher and have been an examiner. I have only ever had papers with numbers rather than names so no possibility of discrimination. Not sure if all exam boards are the same but I think they are supposed to be. Good luck choosing a name OP.

lljkk Thu 13-Dec-12 19:46:22

I am thinking give him the name you love as first name & a conventional British name for middle.

I am American so it seems entirely normal to me for a child be called Thomas Udin or William Choudbury.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now