If we call our son Raven will he get beaten up?

(54 Posts)
Ipp3 Sun 02-Dec-12 16:32:29

We cannot agree on a boy's name. My husband has suggested Raven. My first response was ' Why on earth are you suggesting that? We have already agreed not to send him to a Steiner school!'. But Dh said it is actually an old English name and not a hippy name. I admit I quite like it but think this is a theoretical like and that I am imagining our son called Raven as the dark, brooding, but deeply charismatic, hero of some gothic teenage flick. When I imagine our son called Raven in the real world I see him being chased around the playground by a group of other boys flapping their arms up and down and shouting 'Caw! Caw!' What do you think? I am not so much asking if you like the name, I have seen enough mumsnet discussions to know how deeply divisive names are, just asking if you think life will be harder being a boy named Raven.......

firefly4400 Tue 04-Dec-12 19:14:38

I know a guy called Raven who definitely doesn't fit the dark, brooding stereotype, and he's never had any problems with his name. He's tall and well-built with light brown hair and blue eyes, and no one gives a monkeys that his name is supposed to imply a different appearance! There are plenty of Scarletts out there who don't have red hair!

pinkandyellowbutterfly Mon 03-Dec-12 12:30:16

As it is a name so strong in image, I think its type casting him before he is born, which later on might put alot of pressure in him as he feels he has to live up to his name, and that could potentially be disasterous in his teenage years.

My first thought was he will get called Claw because of Ravenclaw, but then I am a sad Harry Potter fan.

There more I say it though, I like it, for a girl or a boy.

YouCanBe Mon 03-Dec-12 12:10:05

I agree that he would probably just end up as Ray.

1978andallthat Mon 03-Dec-12 08:42:10

I think it's silly. Sorry.

HRH008 Mon 03-Dec-12 08:13:22

Please don`t. If he´s tall he will get called big bird, and teased, a lot.

Mu1berries Mon 03-Dec-12 08:09:52

A girl in my old office's brother was expecting a baby and when she came in and said that it was born, a girl, called Raven, some people were wondering if the mom was african american. apparently it's perceived to be african american name there. but names have different assoications in different places.. More to the point though I think it's a GIRL's name! It's a feminine sound and I wouldn't use it for a boy. But I've heard worse and I don't think he'd be beaten up.

SirBoobAlot Sun 02-Dec-12 23:08:05

Short answer? Yes.

There was a kid with the middle name Raven at our school. He had the piss ripped out of him despite a normal first name.

pecans Sun 02-Dec-12 23:03:24

I know a Raven ... And he goes to a Steiner school. I quite like it but if you doubt the name don't use it -- you will go off it later. All the semi-hippy names I liked while pg just sound pretentious to me now.

edam Sun 02-Dec-12 22:58:59

I know a girl called Ocean who doesn't get any stick for her name, can't see why Raven would be any worse in terms of unusual names. ds and I used to love the CBBC programme but if you do use this name, encourage your son NOT to go for the neat tache and beard combo the presenter is sporting. grin

blanksquit Sun 02-Dec-12 22:54:08

Sorry but it's a silly name.

It sounds hippyish. And he may not be hippyish.

I genuinely feel sad for the Storms and Forests out there. It's on a par with these.

Feckbox Sun 02-Dec-12 22:43:17

yes.
Raven loony
Raven poofter.
and worse

Iggly Sun 02-Dec-12 22:35:59

Raven is one of those names which sound nice in theory.

Don't do it.

Clary Sun 02-Dec-12 22:33:25

I taught a Raven.

The oddest thing about it was that he was sandy haired and freckly! But AFAIK he got no grief over his name.

lljkk Sun 02-Dec-12 22:18:35

I think Raven is fine. Boys called Tom & Jack get beaten up too.

Worley Sun 02-Dec-12 22:09:51

am I the only one now singing the theme tube to "teen titans" the kids cartoon with a girl called raven in...
(tis what happens when I have 2 ds's obsessed with super heroe cartoons)

cityangel Sun 02-Dec-12 22:09:41

Reuben, Ryder, Cavell, Aiden, Evan...

Do you like the name Ray? Because that's what he'll be called.

CheeseStrawWars Sun 02-Dec-12 22:01:33

Nosy parker? Parka jacket? Peter Parker/Spiderman? I think you could get away with Parker in the US (wasn't one of the Sex & The City babies called that?) but in the UK...?

HongKongPooey Sun 02-Dec-12 21:58:54

Raven loon... not for me grin

busymummy3 Sun 02-Dec-12 21:53:08

What Parker as in Lady Penelope's chauffeur ? ThunderBirds are Go !!!

Viviennemary Sun 02-Dec-12 21:51:21

It's a ridiculous name. Please don't even think about it.

OwedToAutumn Sun 02-Dec-12 21:49:27

I know a Raven.

He's a musician, from a family of musicians.

Narrowboat Sun 02-Dec-12 21:47:00

how about Parker? More male, low key and quietly different.

Raven is a bit try hard

CheeseStrawWars Sun 02-Dec-12 21:43:35

Someone's already linked to the TV series "That's So Raven", she is the only Raven I know of.

Raven will get nn of Ray, surely? If you're happy with that nn, what about something like Rafe/Ralph (pron rayff, as in Ralph Fiennes)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now