Welsh boy's name

(41 Posts)
tasmaniandevilchaser Sat 01-Dec-12 17:44:37

We have a Welsh surname, though I'm not Welsh, which is why I need a bit of help. We cannot decide on a boy's name. Ones I like won't "go" with our surname. A traditional English name would go with our surname but they are very popular where we are, so he would probably be one of several in his class.

Any ideas or inspiration on Welsh names?
Thanks

alexbaublismum Sat 01-Dec-12 19:56:02

I love the name Iestyn. If we lived in Wales, or even just in the UK, I would have used it.

And Geraint is good too.

edam Sat 01-Dec-12 20:16:44

Your sister is called Taliesyn? Lovely but I've never heard of it being a girl's name (am quite possibly ill-informed, however, there may be lots of girls called Taliesyn for all I know...).

We've never met another girl Taliesyn. I think she was named after the Deep Purple album, 'the book of Taliesyn'. She gets called Tally for short.

AntsMarching Sun 02-Dec-12 08:27:45

Emlyn. Would have been dd2's name if she had been a boy.

OP - both my dcs have Welsh names and I'm not Welsh. DH is Welsh but we live in England.

invicta Sun 02-Dec-12 08:28:36

Glen,
Rhys
David dewi dafydd
Rhodri
Geraint
Glynn
Hugh Huw
Norman ( think Fireman Sam!)
Griff
Gareth

Morgan

Fadqueen Sun 02-Dec-12 08:36:56

I am Welsh although I live in England. I love, love, love Welsh boys names. I think they are really strong character names. I have DD's and a very English surname but my dog has a very good Welsh name - Iolo (yollo). Not many of those around!

Francesa Sun 02-Dec-12 11:45:23

How about Muerig, a Welsh king, was he not?

Francesa Sun 02-Dec-12 11:49:01

Sorry that should have been Meurig!

tasmaniandevilchaser Sun 02-Dec-12 13:48:08

Thanks everyone, lots of ideas

DH has vetoed some, but Dylan, Geraint and Gwilym are def going on the list. I like Taliesin a lot as well, and Iolo but don't think they'll get past DH.

Love Dylan (bit biased!) Was the only name that we could agree on.

edam Sun 02-Dec-12 19:03:58

Dylan should be pron. Dullan but English and American people often don't know this, or ignore it.

goralka Sun 02-Dec-12 19:07:50

i do prefer Dullan despite being English as Dylan just reminds me of the snail in the Magic Roundabout (shows age)

Dullan in how his Welsh Grandad pronouces it.

Forgot that I know a Hywel (Huw-el or How-el) and a Huw, and a Rhys.

BabysPointlessPocket Mon 03-Dec-12 13:49:56

Ellis, a great Welsh name and my ds name

jidelgin Tue 04-Dec-12 23:39:38

Brinley ? Gwyn ?
I too love Geraint. Had a lovely professor by that name...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now