What do you think of Bean?

(59 Posts)
Carolinchina Wed 21-Nov-12 20:29:31

What do you think of Bean as a boy's name? It's listed on Mumsnet's Baby Name Finder.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Thu 22-Nov-12 08:52:23

Cute name. For a small dog.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Thu 22-Nov-12 09:52:14

Just dreadful, cutsie and irritating.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 22-Nov-12 10:47:04

Perfect for a ginger kitten, gobbin.

This is where I think you need to make the distinction between z name that is not your choice or to your liking bug is x perfectly useable name. For example I dislike z lot if names that begin with thd letter 'K' can 't explain shy just not my taste.

However, Bean as a name to go on z birth certificate is utterly ridiculous.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 22-Nov-12 13:07:13

Really?! No. Just no.

As a cute random nickname it's fine. As an actual name? No!

It would be like calling your son Carrot!

LimeLeafLizard Thu 22-Nov-12 16:08:41

My DSiS's BIL and wife gave their DS the middle name Bean (their nickname for the baby whilst she was pregnant). The family took the piss, a lot.

Sorrel, this happened in my family too - are you my sister?! grin

RobinSparkles Thu 22-Nov-12 16:12:10

I have trouble with Sean Bean as well, Grimma. I always want to call him Seen Been too!

Bean is fine...
As a nick name. I could never use it as an actual name though!

MrsHoarder Thu 22-Nov-12 16:13:43

Bean sounds like you got too attached to the pregnancy name to give it up. Almost as bad as naming the child baby bump.

Sallster Thu 22-Nov-12 16:17:10

It's my friend Nina's nickname. I think it came from us calling her Nina Ribena but I've known her for so long it's origins are lost in the mists of time!

EmpressOfTheMadBoxOfFrogs Thu 22-Nov-12 16:19:01

Some names are ugly but are still valid names - Bean is a very ugly word and not even remotely a name. If my parents had done that to me I'd have changed it as soon as I could and probably never forgiven them. DON'T DO IT.

Eer, no.

If you do go for it, please make sure they have a 'normal' middle name to fall back on.

SorrelForbes Thu 22-Nov-12 16:27:03

LimeLeafLizard Umm, maybe??!! Did you grow up somewhere touristy and now live somewhere else very touristy?

Cahooots Thu 22-Nov-12 17:13:46

Nah! Sounds abit silly to me. smile

DS2 is 4 months old and I call him Squishy Boo Bean, but that isn't his actual name. I think of 'Mr' when I think of Bean.

LimeLeafLizard Thu 22-Nov-12 22:13:48

Sorrel, well, yes, sort of. Grew up touristy-rural, now live near London.
My sister doesn't have any children - so if you do, the name Bean is just a strange co-incidence!

SorrelForbes Thu 22-Nov-12 23:42:48

Ah, definitely not my DSiS then as we grew up near London and we have both moved away grin

Carolinchina Mon 03-Dec-12 15:04:34

So definitely no for a first name, but how about as a second name? It's not like we use our second names much anyway, right?

Merrycuckingfistmas Mon 03-Dec-12 15:07:20

Are you having a laugh? You can't seriously want to call you kid bean, do you want him to get bullied?

EmpressOfTheNorthPole Mon 03-Dec-12 15:22:47

But why?

It's such an ugly word.

TheSecondComing Mon 03-Dec-12 15:25:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EldritchCleavage Mon 03-Dec-12 15:26:31

Grimma, my sister calls Sean Bean Sin Bin because he's usually the baddie.

CheerfulYank Mon 03-Dec-12 15:41:14

It's my cousin's nickname, but she's actually Hannah. smile

As a real name, just no.

SoupDragon Mon 03-Dec-12 15:49:01

No. It is stupid.

Imagine yourself going into a room and saying "Hi, my name is Bean." and then decide if you want to do that to your child. Even as a middle name it is daft.

You are naming a person not a dog.

dd's nickname is "bean." usually she gets immibean. not for a birth certificate name though.

JuliaScurr Mon 03-Dec-12 16:01:48

dp said 'No. It's stupid. And in some countries would be illegal'.

He is right. It should be illegal here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now