Meriel (Merry)

(34 Posts)
Gwennan Fri 16-Nov-12 16:39:50

What do you think of this name for a girl?

BackforGood Sat 17-Nov-12 00:11:15

I know a Meriel (in her late 60s) and she ALWAYS finds people have trouble with her name. She can't be introduced anywhere without people commenting, or "correcting it" to Muriel.

Nor, tbh would I inflict upon any chyild / person the hassles of being called 'Merry" for the rest of their lives. Even without the 'merry = had too much to drink' connotation, I just wouldn't want people commenting on you supposedly being merry (as in happy , jolly) all through life.

"Inflict", backforgood, hmm

Yes, 5madthings, I love it too because it is quite different, and it actually describes her personality - very jolly (merry!).

5madthings Sat 17-Nov-12 00:26:49

Yes my dd is very jolly and it means joyfull and lighthearted as well smile

My dd does get called merry but mainly merryn or merrymouse! Its a really lovely name, unusual but not 'out there' iykwim. I certainly dont feel like we have 'inflicted' her with her name. If she doesnt want her name to be shortened to merry i am sure she will tell them, she could alwars shorten it to 'ryn' as well if she wants to.

Its a lovely cornish/old english name smile

SomersetONeil Sat 17-Nov-12 00:58:30

You haven't inflicted her with anything it's a beautiful a name. smile

fraktion Sat 17-Nov-12 01:13:46

My DSis used get a lot of jokes around Christmas. She got around it by spelling it Meri, sounds the same but people aren't tempted to make the same joke for some reason. She's also perfected the raised eyebrow to go with 'no, not as in Christmas unless you can't spell'.

So Meriel, beautiful, but consider not using Merry.

coldcupoftea Sun 18-Nov-12 20:31:48

I think Meriel is beautiful!

zingally Mon 19-Nov-12 12:55:40

It's quite pretty, but I have a bit of an adversion to made-up names!

It has only been around for about 600 years in the English language, so I suppose is quite new....hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now