Names DP has come up with...

(67 Posts)
Snowflakepie Tue 23-Oct-12 11:17:39

...and you just cannot stand? Still early days for us but before we knew DD was a girl, DH came up with Tennyson for a boy. I thought he was joking and just laughed, but he was serious. Is there hope for this poor DC?! We've already had the 'no to Tennyson' conversation just to get it out of the way!

Poppins27 Sat 05-Jan-13 21:09:31

My DPs (not so) helpful input was Admiral for a boy...the rationing for this was he would 'be someone'. I could only assume he would 'be bullied'!!

YoSaffBridge Sat 05-Jan-13 20:50:31

I have quite an obvious lisp, more than enough to rule out any names that are too sibilant, and DP went through a phase of suggesting names like Sarah, Isaac, Isabel... hmm

LexiLoganberry Sat 05-Jan-13 16:46:40

I'm expecting at the moment and I have agreed that my DH can name the baby, I have put a condition one name which I strongly dislike, Emily, sorry to any Emily's or parents of Emily's.

Thankfully we have similar tastes in names and I know he would never choose a name I didn't like, he's a fair man.

ISpyPlumPie Sat 05-Jan-13 12:36:16

DH suggested both Leighton and Duane for a boy - tbf, he was somewhat 'refreshed' at the time and both DSs avoided these inspired choices.

His taste in girls' names is stuck firmly in his schooldays - Michelle, Claire etc - absolutely nothing wrong with them in themselves, but not exactly common amongst girls born this millenium!

SpikyLikey Sat 05-Jan-13 11:37:39

Angelique for a girl. Sounds gorgeous in a French accent, but in a flat London accent, sounds like Angie-Leek. No.

BestIsWest Sat 05-Jan-13 11:33:28

Woodrow, Woody for short. Failing that, Tiago. Just no.

BinarySolo Sat 05-Jan-13 11:32:11

Weeps even. Stupid sausage fingers

BinarySolo Sat 05-Jan-13 11:29:21

Dh suggested Napoleon last time round. This time the only name he vaguely likes is Thor. <weaps>

Dh came up with Bismarck hmm which I think he was joking about. He also suggested Sebastian which I had suggested 3 weeks earlier and he had vetoed and then ruined it by nick naming him sebby. Oh and he also came up with striker. Ds has none of those names.

hurricanewyn Sat 05-Jan-13 08:07:36

Django for a boy & Serendipity (nn dippy!) for a girl.

Neither were chosen.

mrscog Sat 05-Jan-13 08:01:27

Another DH here who suggested Wolf (well Wolfgang actually) 'because it will make him sound hard when he's at school'

akaemmafrost Sat 05-Jan-13 06:16:03

Ex suggested Keith and Kathleen, which would have been fine if we were c1977, but we are not! He denies these suggestions now but he DID.

volvocowgirl Sat 05-Jan-13 03:30:37

I love Jackson. But OH says it reminds him of MJ immediately.

OH wanted Smash for a boy (and that was before the new Avengers movie) and Cherry for a girl (I went to school with a Cherry and thought it was really pretty and different but my obsession with American crime dramas has resulted in me automatically thinking 'stripper' when I hear it now).

We're still TTC so I have time to talk him into something nicer!

rkh15900 Sat 05-Jan-13 00:23:03

'mercedes' and/or 'porsche' ..... hope he was joking - aint never gonna happen !!

SerenityNOT Fri 26-Oct-12 08:40:29

DH suggested Frank - I hated it, FIL immediately called out "Frank the Wank", to which DH said "No, after my favourite guitarist, Frannie Beecher"
Fanny? No. Not really, thank you.
MIL wanted something posh and suggested Alisdair (DH said 'gay flight attendant') and StJohn - remember its pronounced singe-un - to which I fell about laughing and DH reminder her it would not be becoming of a Jewish man to name his child after a Christian saint, even if DS isn't Jewish himself...
We had a lovely time with names.

HappyHippyChick Fri 26-Oct-12 08:38:32

Pedro? That's inspired! grin

LivingInAGoldBubble Fri 26-Oct-12 08:37:48

No dc here yet but we do discuss baby names and DH has terrible taste! Girls-names like Sharon and Tracy, this is not even the decade of his school friends etc. Meanwhile I like unusual names so hs suggestions of names like David fall on deaf ears! Mind you, he turned to me the other day and suggested Percival! I can only hope he is trying to think of unusual names and just has awful taste, apologies to all who like his names, thy are not my choice.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 26-Oct-12 08:06:16

OH suggests names like Ruth. I like names like Aurelia. I foresee tantrums discussions taking place at some point.

mathanxiety Fri 26-Oct-12 04:40:42

Colmcille, if any of the last three had been boys. What a lucky escape.

Em2010 Thu 25-Oct-12 23:03:28

When I first met dh he wanted 3 boys- to be called Ashley, Andre and Pedro.... (Dh is English) hmm Needless to say our ds1 is called James!

HappyHippyChick Thu 25-Oct-12 22:54:25

Flick I think the otter was Tarka. Taka is like tacky but with an a! classy

PinkSoccerMum Thu 25-Oct-12 20:58:03

Rocky, Carlisle, Gene grin

Not my DH, but my male co worker wanted to call his DD Murbella confused
(turned out to be a fake girlfriend and pregnancy, and then he told everyone he'd died, he was just a bit of an odd ball really...)

JasperStreet Thu 25-Oct-12 20:53:03

DH suggested Brian. He said Brians tend to be good blokes. He has since lost his right to name any future children.

Yika Thu 25-Oct-12 20:51:32

I actually like some of these! Bernice is lovely for example. Humphrey and Davinia on the other hand ... My now XDP suggested Sharon for DD. to be fair, it sounds pretty in french and doesn't have any particular social connotation here in Belgium.
Several decades ago meanwhile, my dear dad suggested Clarence or Maurice for my little bro. Good thing my mum was there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now