Middle name for Harper and...

(55 Posts)
mamaLou13 Fri 14-Sep-12 21:34:20

I have whittled down my choice for a baby girls name to either Harper or Poppy ( but Dh hates Poppy.... still working on it though as he named dd1). Can't think of a good middle name though. Dd1's middle name is Grace. I thought Harper Rose was quite nice but have gone off it. Harper Poppy just doesnt't go either!
Any suggestions?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 10-Jul-13 23:55:25

Last time I heard someone debating using Harper they contemplated Zoe with it.

If you scan through this whole section InspectorGadget there will probably be many names subjected to random critical opinions so please don't worry your DD's name is any more susceptible to adverse comment than any other. It seems particularly harsh when an OP says they have definitely selected that name confused but posters answering a What do you think? thread will give honest forthright views.

Rtfairy Wed 10-Jul-13 22:31:37

Harper Rose is pretty, also think Harper Willow has a lovely ring to it.

Inspector gadget Harper Lily is a lovely name, try not to be affected by other people's opinions.

natandmat Tue 09-Jul-13 22:27:54

My little girl has 2 middle names, Harper Rose, she is 4 so was named way before the Beckhams!! I love the name!

InspectorGadget Tue 09-Jul-13 00:00:04

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. I have absolutely no idea why I just typed 'Harper' (my daughters name) in to the search box. Why the fuck did I do that?? Sheesh. Good to know what to expect in terms of ignorant assumptions and 'jokes' once she gets to school though, so cheers for that.
She was 12 weeks old when the Beckham's news broke and I was DEVASTATED. Cried for a whole day. Cannot stand Beckhams. Not into celebrity names in any way shape or form. Had she been born afterwards I would definitely not have used it so in a way I'm glad because I adore the name, she suits it down to the ground and I would have been sad to have had a girl and not be able to use my fabouritist name.
I wonder which name OP chose in the end.
Mine is Harper Lily btw.

corblimeymadam Thu 20-Sep-12 10:42:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DancehallDaze Thu 20-Sep-12 10:30:15

What about Harper Sixpence?
It's better than Harper Penny

grin

outforlunch Thu 20-Sep-12 09:52:24

Bringing it back to middle names... (the poster has already said she isn't looking for opinions on the first names!)

Mathanxiety has already mentioned two that I was thinking about - Harper Evelyn and Harper Catherine. BUT, could Harper Evelyn be transmogrified to half-past-eleven, given the half-past-seven precedent? Harper Rosalind could also be nice if you have a short surname.

Agree Harper Poppy doesn't work, but I think Poppy Harper really does!

Inmate Thu 20-Sep-12 01:52:30

Agree, you will just look like a Beckham wannabee. They're just rich plebs.

I would think Harpy or Harpic. Would also feel you are a bit of a Beckham hanger on. Actually have a Cruz in the family and get a lot of "wtf, as in Beckham" comments.

mathanxiety Wed 19-Sep-12 19:27:37

DD1's friend Sophie proudly answered to Sofa from age 12 onwards.

DancehallDaze Wed 19-Sep-12 18:38:40

Nothing wrong with Sophie, or sofas grin

Collins.

Pudgy2011 Wed 19-Sep-12 16:31:12

<snorts with laughter at Orange and imagines the sofa based insults>

OrangeandGoldMrsDeVere Wed 19-Sep-12 16:29:17

Great logic Dancehall.
That's why I didn't call my DD Sophie, to avoid the horror of her being tormented with Sofa based insults.

DancehallDaze Wed 19-Sep-12 11:19:59

Really horrible name. Wait till she finds out what a harpy is. Or her schoolmates do.

CheerfulYank Tue 18-Sep-12 22:03:52

I like Harper Grace or Harper Elizabeth. smile

worldcitizen Tue 18-Sep-12 19:56:10

The suggested Harper Christine and Harper Lucille sound great.

And I love Poppy. I just love that name. Can't help it smile

Pudgy2011 Tue 18-Sep-12 19:19:57

Yes, it's jumped 61 places on nameberry (if you follow that kind of thing):

"Harper is a red hot name for girls, having jumped an impressive 61 places between 2010 and 2011. Harper has been a shooting star in the celebrisphere, chosen first by Ali Wentworth and George Stephanopoulis, followed by Lisa Marie Presley, David Spade, Dave Grohl, Martie Maguire, Tiffani Thiessen, and Neil Patrick Harris. And now that the Beckhams have chosen it for their first daughter, Harper is sure to get even hotter."

And Somerset I understand exactly what you mean and I agree.

Goldensunnydays81 Tue 18-Sep-12 05:50:37

Harper Rae,
I like the name harper but also love poppy!

corblimeymadam Tue 18-Sep-12 05:27:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SomersetONeil Tue 18-Sep-12 04:46:16

Has it gone up in the popularity stake though...? hmm

I would've thought way more people are now actively avoiding it because of the Beckham association, rather than copying it...

I suppose - without wanting to sound like an unmitigated snob although I realise I will anyway - it probably is copied in certain echelons.

Pudgy2011 Tue 18-Sep-12 03:01:58

If DS was a girl, he would have been named Harper Marise (Marise is my sister's middle name and aunt's name).

We both really liked Harper but we did reconsider when the Beckham's used it a couple of months before our baby was born, not because we stopped liking the name nor do we dislike the Beckhams but I wanted a slightly quirky name and knew that Harper was going to bounce straight up the popular name stakes.

I still really like it, I think it does need a pretty middle name though.

PurplyWurply Tue 18-Sep-12 01:47:33

If you like Poppy, would you consider Willow for a first name? To me, Willow has a soothing sound. You could use Harper as a middle name, like Harper Lee?

mathanxiety Sun 16-Sep-12 06:53:23

Harper Laurel
Harper Marley
Harper Kathryn
Harper Madeleine
Harper Anneliese
Harper Annabel
Harper Joy
Harper Evelyn
Harper Elinor
Harper Alannah
Harper Noelle
Harper Genevieve

LemonLovesLilac Sat 15-Sep-12 22:10:01

Harper Juno

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now