We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

chalk based paint

(17 Posts)
paneer Mon 10-Feb-14 18:16:14

where can I buy chalk based paint? is Annie Slone the only supplier?
tia

RussianBlu Mon 10-Feb-14 22:02:01

I think you can get it in wickes

RussianBlu Mon 10-Feb-14 22:02:42

there is also another online company with a French or Italian sounding name, sorry, not very helpful!

paneer Mon 10-Feb-14 22:34:07

thanks.
without having had looked at the cost of the paint do you know if primer + water based paint is most cost effective?

Strawdolly Sun 16-Feb-14 12:26:54

I haven't looked into costs, Paneer, but I do know that Annie Sloan paint can go straight on to a clean surface so you don't need to prime or sand etc so a big time saver. I believe if you're after a 'perfect' look it might not be the paint for you, although I have had good enough results so far (haven't used it much though), it's good for the shabby chic look.

What's your project? <nosy>

Annie sloan is £20 for a tin. I've painted a bookshelf and 1 coat of a cot bed in it and I've just about used the tin up.

To make it last you do need to use the wax over your final coat, that's about £7 and I only used the tiniest amount of that with the bookshelf.

I must add it's lovely paint to use and I think it gives a really good effect with very little work.

member Sun 16-Feb-14 12:45:46

Autentico is the main alternative I've heard of. Not used either but Autentico has a wider choice of colours that I like.

craftysewer Sun 16-Feb-14 21:39:22

I have used Annie Sloan paint and it is very economical to use.

paneer Tue 18-Feb-14 21:36:29

I've got some wooden chairs I want to paint, just to make a little more interesting. No major project in the pipeline... although I do I have an Ercol dresser that is screaming at me....

I did find a very local supplier and had a chat with them and it sound so simple and I think that a £18 tin and a tub of wax will do me.

Dingle Wed 19-Feb-14 17:26:20

I haven't used any other paints so I cannot compare but I have just ordered a few more tins of Autentico. I originally searched online and found was lucky enough to have a supplier very local to me.

I have also tried a few of their waxes! LOVE them.

So far I have revamped a large chest of drawers, 2 large mirror frames, nearly completed an old school desk, and currently on my 2nd coat of a weird old table.......still on my first 1lt can!

My feeble but enjoyable attempts!

paneer Sun 23-Feb-14 22:55:38

let me know how you get on with authentico.

painted a chair yesterday. first coat wasn't great. but then I watered down and much better. I suspect this is going to be addictive...

Dingle Mon 24-Feb-14 10:29:15

What wax did you go for paneer? I got a clear wax and a dark one to do some antique effects! I am quite nervous about applying the dark one though!

I am eagerly awaiting for a large (2.5lt) tin to be delivered to my local store so I can get on with my old clutter furniture awaiting revamping! I am also going for my second colour of paint...probably Poetic, a sort of duck egg colour!

I am becoming quite addicted!

paneer Tue 25-Feb-14 21:44:18

clear wax. slapped it on tonight.
I agree, it is addictive. it is so forgiving, so my style!

MrsMcQueen Wed 26-Feb-14 16:28:40

Have you tried making your own chalk paint. I haven't tried it myself but there are a lot of recipes online

paneer Thu 27-Feb-14 23:18:42

I read about it the other day. looks very straightforward and tempting...
have you??

Dingle Sat 01-Mar-14 08:32:49

No, I have seem some of the recipes too, but never really looked into them!

I am so excited. My BIG tin of chalk paint is waiting for me to collect today...and I am also picking up my first "colour" too. I haven't quite decided but I will more than likely stick with Poetic! (does happy dance!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now