We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

I need to make 15 superhero capes!

(11 Posts)
TheNightIsDark Thu 06-Feb-14 23:24:14

Ideas please. It's for DS's 5th birthday. I'm thinking bits of material, some stuff round the edge (hopefully you know what I mean) and Velcro straps.

But what material? Where do I get edging stuff and what? Should I put felt letters on them?

BikeRunSki Thu 06-Feb-14 23:28:01

Cheap fabric, felt, glue, fabric paint

Someone put a v similar query on our work staff chat boards recently. Do you work for the most hated organisation in England too? (You'll know who I mean if you do !)

TheNightIsDark Thu 06-Feb-14 23:31:00

Nope. In a nursery though so I should know how to make these things confused

What fabric is best? Cotton type or satin like?

BikeRunSki Thu 06-Feb-14 23:32:35

I reckon cotton for grippy ness of the glue

Lots of tutorials here

FootieOnTheTelly Thu 06-Feb-14 23:56:25

Quick and easy is the way to go. The kids really won't care about the craftsmanship grin

Use a non fraying material (Knits, Spandex, Fleece, Vinyl, a non fray polyester or whatever) and paint on a design. You could make the neck ties by just cutting the material to make a tie. Make it loose enough so that it will slip over the kids heads and cut the fabric tie so that it will break if there is pressure on it - (so the kids can't strangle themselves)

MrChow Fri 07-Feb-14 00:04:25

My friend did this, they were fab! They got to take them home rather then a partty bag, look on pintrest

MrChow Fri 07-Feb-14 00:09:31
cate16 Fri 07-Feb-14 00:10:36

I saw some made out of tea towels. They'd decorated the fabric- they were the right size and all edges already done - just gathered for the neck.

MrChow Fri 07-Feb-14 00:10:42
FootieOnTheTelly Fri 07-Feb-14 00:29:09

How about buying these BRIGHTLY COLOURED RAIN PONCHOS 2 for £1:30, including delivery. shock
You can then decorate them. wink

Super cheap and quick. You can get children's sizes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now