We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Craft stalls - how do you take payment?

(27 Posts)
Kikithecat Mon 07-Oct-13 18:47:15

I am planning to do my first ever craft fair soon and have been reading up on hints and tips. However I was wondering if someone with experience can tell me: are payments always in cash or do customers expect to be able to use credit cards etc? As it's my first time I wouldn't be set up for this, but some of my items would be of high-ish value (£50 or more).

Kikithecat Mon 07-Oct-13 18:55:01

Bump

lookoveryourshouldernow Mon 07-Oct-13 18:58:20

.... have you had a look at the new system from Paypal - which allows you to take credit card payments through a smartphone ??

Kikithecat Mon 07-Oct-13 19:00:55

That sounds good lookover. Is it a Paypal app then?

I only ever took cash - you need to have proper permission from the bank to take cards. I don't know about the paypal app. In my experience, most people had plenty of cash with them - I always assume a craft fair is unlikely to have many sellers set up to take cards.

Very interested in this post as I am planning to do my first craft fair too, may be we could compare experiences. What are you selling Kiki and when is your fair? (for obvious reasons, can't help with the payment question as haven't figured it out yet).

Kikithecat Wed 09-Oct-13 08:56:59

Hi lifeistooshort, I think I'll be doing my first fair on 7th December. I have just started selling my paintings (decorative art).
I saw your thread when looking for tips. Have you got your paper stuff sorted yet? - I mean business cards/leaflets or whatever and packaging? I need to do this. However while in the past I'm sure Vistaprint were bombarding me with offers of free this and that I can't find anything particularly cheap now! And have you got your insurance? I have a quote for £53 from Direct Line but was unable to get a quote on the Trevellyan site for some reason.

gnittinggnome Wed 09-Oct-13 09:08:33

Have a look at Pingit, an app by Barclays - you can accept transfers of cash from anyone if you have their phone number. Am planning on doing a few markets in the run up to Christmas and other than cash, I think Pingit (if people have it) will be the way to go.

Take a look - it won't replace other forms of payment until everyone has it, but if someone does have the app it might be very handy!

www.barclays.co.uk/Mobile/BarclaysPingit/P1242603570446

Kikithecat Wed 09-Oct-13 09:37:58

Thanks gnitting.

Bohemond Wed 09-Oct-13 09:43:46

It costs around £25 per month to have one of the handheld chip and pin machines and I believe you have to contract for 24 months or similar. There is also a cost for every transaction (some of which can come out of the monthly fee). If there are other alternatives I would definitely pursue them - although note that not everybody will be comfortable with new ways of payment eg Pingit.

firesidechat Thu 10-Oct-13 08:36:18

Cash or cheques. I never had a problem with the cheques and card machines are far too expensive for craft fair use unless you do lots of fairs.

Kikithecat Thu 10-Oct-13 17:07:40

I'm glad to hear people still pay by cheque sometimes. smile

roguepixie Thu 10-Oct-13 17:24:53

I've just been to the Knitting & Stitching Show at Ally Pally and most of the stalls take credit cards/debit cards with those hand held machines. A few stalls only took cash, am assuming they all took cheques but didn't see anyone writing one so can't say. That said, Alexandra Palace has ATM's scattered around the site so people were able to take cash out.

Perhaps you could check out the place you are going to be going to and see whether they have ATM's? If they do then only taking cash won't be a problem.

RustyHalo Thu 10-Oct-13 17:47:23

Grrrr - just tried to post & lost the message. sorry if this comes up twice. Anyway. . . I don't have any advice about payments but noticed you are looking for insurance. Have a look at the Artists Newsletter website. If you subscribe for £36/year you get membership of AIR & insurance included. I'll try & link to the website but if that fails just Google a-n magazine & click on subscriptions for the details. I've used this for workshops & exhibitions. hth & good luck at the Craft Fair.

RustyHalo Thu 10-Oct-13 17:50:48
Kikithecat Thu 10-Oct-13 19:24:44

Wow good one Rusty - I've just subscribed!

RustyHalo Thu 10-Oct-13 20:52:01

Brilliant! Will keep watching this thread as I'm hoping to venture into Craft Fairs when I can get enough stock together.

OiVaVoi Mon 14-Oct-13 14:58:56

I have just managed to book a craft fair on the 7th December. It's been hard work finding one as most were booked up. A daunting prospect as will have to busy a gut to get everything ready in time.... Am assuming people will pay using either cheque or cash.

LifeofPo Mon 14-Oct-13 15:00:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LifeofPo Mon 14-Oct-13 15:02:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kikithecat Tue 15-Oct-13 10:43:35

Hi OiVaVoi SNAP -my first one is also 7th December!

Hi Kikithecat

I have some of my paperwork sorted. I took the craft insurance with Ian Wallace as recommended on the other thread. A bit expensive but seems comprehensive. I have a logo. Bought a pack of business cards you can print at Staples, they come with a free design software. Will give it a go today. I have started my website but haven't populated yet as I am busy making my stock at the moment. I have the packaging sorted (got some handmade stamps with my business names which I will use for branding of simple packaging).

Ooh selling your own painting must be so exciting!

My fairs are at the end of November. I think I will probably stick to cash as I doubt I will have time to investigate how to take other payments. I am way behind making my stock and need to get a move on!!

Kikithecat Tue 15-Oct-13 18:35:56

hi life you are selling lots of little stuff aren't you so you need a lot. I am planning a few more paintings by December but what i've got shd fill the space ok. Have ordered business cards and carrier bags. I think I can cobble together the rest. Have decided to rely on cash/cheques but I do have a Paypal account so could use that if necessary. Have you sold your stuff anywhere else?

Nope, haven't ever tried to sell anything so I will go without expecting to make any sales in the spirit of learning what potential customers may want that way I won't be disappointed. I did a bit better today, managed to finish a few items but still a long way to go!!

Kikithecat Fri 18-Oct-13 13:05:51

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now