We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Quilting - websites for an absolute beginner?

(18 Posts)
TeamEdward Thu 19-Sep-13 17:46:36

Inspired by the latest Tracy Chevalier book, The Last Runaway, I've decided to make a quilt.
I've ordered 40x4in squares in shades of blue, and now need to know what to do. I picked up a craft quilting book from the library, but it was a bit advance TBH.

Can you recommend a good website/book/resource?

MinniesMate Thu 19-Sep-13 19:47:39

Look at this lady's website.

www.ludlowquiltandsew.co.uk/

Fantastic beginner tutorials. Takes you through all the basics.

Beware, it's very addictive!

TeamEdward Thu 19-Sep-13 19:48:18

Lovely! Thank you.

AboutTimeForAChange Sat 21-Sep-13 10:41:26

I have just found this site, linked on another thread, you may like as time goes by.

MacCulloch-Wallis

TeamEdward Sat 21-Sep-13 19:14:17

Thank you.
My squares have arrived, and now I wish I'd ordered more!

craftycottontail Mon 23-Sep-13 20:37:27

Look up the Missouri Star Quilt Company on Youtube, they do loads of good tutorials on piecing patchwork and the odd few on how to quilt and add binding.

try these on line tutorials
http://imagingermonkey.blogspot.co.uk/p/tutorials.html
http://www.modabakeshop.com/search/label/Quilt
http://www.cluckclucksew.com/p/free-quilting-tutorials.html

if you like modern improvised quilts, try Quilt improv by Lucie Summers, Modern Minimal is brilliant and Beginner's guide to quilting by Elizabeth Betts. Have fun!

TeamEdward Tue 24-Sep-13 08:11:05

I'm going to have a go today sod the housework. Wish me luck!

Potterer Wed 25-Sep-13 09:46:06

Ooh I've come to this a bit late, I have played around with quilting recently and I love Jenny of Missouri Star Quilt Company on YouTube as mentioned by craftycottontail

She shows you lots of short cuts so you don't have to piece every square individually. Plus if you wanted a fast quilt in under an hour, you can make a jellyroll quilt (a jelly roll is a roll of strips of fabric that coordinate with each other)

I like YouTube as I learn better by watching someone do it rather than reading.

Last year I made Christmas stockings and quilted them using free motion quilting (Leah Day on YouTube is fantastic at explaining it) and most of all just experiment!

StuckOnARollercoaster Wed 25-Sep-13 10:15:06

Some lovely links and better than the ones I'd bookmarked after a basic Google search.
Am going to make a quilt for DD out of her outgrown babygros and clothes. So far we have 25 squares, just need another 100 before I can start arranging and sewing!

I would love to find a quilting course to go to. I have the basics at home, but lack the confidence to get started.

TeamEdward Wed 25-Sep-13 17:48:53

I've nearly done!
Sewn all my squares (it's about 22in square now), have pinned the layers together, now just tacking the edges ready for bias binding them. Then it's on with the quilting.

Quick question - I don't have a free motion foot, so can I just sew without a foot?

brilliant and quick! To quilt, a free motion foot is for creative swirls etc. why not 'stitch in the ditch' or diagonally accross the quilt. If your worried about not stitching a straight line, I use making tape as a line guide - just remove the tape after each line as it can leave a sticky residue if left on too long.

I have a free motion foot for my machine, but I remember seeing something somewhere saying that you have to alter the tension or the stitch length, when you use free motion sewing - can you advise me, please, TeamEdward? Thanks in advance.

MothershipG Wed 25-Sep-13 19:19:17

Don't bind it before you quilt it! When you quilt it pulls up the fabric.

A free motion foot is essentially a darning foot and you also need to lower the feed dogs. I have to say FMQ takes some practice so if this is your first quilt I'd stick to straight lines, do you have a walking foot? Not essential but does help get a good finished result.

Definitely watch Leah Day before you start any FMQ but she actually makes it look easier than it is!

TeamEdward Thu 26-Sep-13 14:33:41

I've not done the binding yet, in the tutorial I watched it was bound & then FMQ.

SDTG, don't ask me for advice! I'm a bumbling fool new to all this!

What does a walking foot look like MothershipG?

My machine is a late 50's Singer 185k and is pretty basic.

MothershipG Thu 26-Sep-13 16:43:00

Unless it was a tiny sample piece I really don't know why the tute suggested binding first, do you have a link?

A walking or even feed foot looks like this. Basically it moves the top layer of fabric the way the feed dogs move the bottom layer.

SDTG You will almost certainly have to adjust your tension when you FMQ so you must start on a practice piece and not leap on to your good stuff. I find my Janome needs to be around 2 or 3. As you have lowered your feed dogs the stitch length is entirely dependant on how fast the needle is going up and down in relation to how fast you are moving the fabric. Youtube tutes will make this much clearer!

FMQ gives you the freedom to quilt designs like this but it takes some getting used to, it's like drawing with a fixed pen and only moving the paper, for me me it felt really counter intuitive and took a lot of getting used to and I'm still all over the place!

Thank you, Mothership - I will get my machine out and have a play.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now