We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

cheapest non nasty acrylic yarn for granny squares?

(58 Posts)
EarlyIntheMorning Tue 17-Sep-13 21:27:16

Bearing in mind how expensive yarn is and how much would be needed to make a blanket for a single bed, what's the cheapest yarn I could get away with for the end result to look good and have longevity?

SoupDragon Fri 27-Sep-13 15:57:45

looks like cotton not acrylic and no doesn't look cheap.

In real life it looks just like the acrylic it was made from, there's no getting away from it. It's what I wanted to use for the blanket though so I am not at all disappointed smile

SoupDragon Fri 27-Sep-13 15:59:00

WRT the colours, I think the green was wrong as it seems to stand out. I don't think any of the others would fit in better though certainly not Bright Green which is the Jaffa of greens

I used
Lipstick (Red)
Jaffa (Orange)
Citron (Yellow)
Meadow (Green)
Cloud Blue (Blue)
Emperor (Indigo)
Lavender (Violet)

for my rainbow blankets. Citron and Jaffa are both very bright but Meadow was calming and the deep purple of Emperor seemed to tie it all together.

BranchingOut Fri 15-Nov-13 17:27:20

Are you able to wash a blanket made from Stylecraft? I am thinking of making a sofa throw that will probably get a few spillages etc.

Is it nice to touch?

BranchingOut Sun 17-Nov-13 09:24:39

bump?

alemci Sun 17-Nov-13 09:32:33

I am using Rico cotton to make a blanket. It is about £1.99 online but can be found cheaper and the colours are pretty.

katcatkat Sun 17-Nov-13 14:54:35

Stylecraft special washes very well my blanket despite 9 months of kid use looks like new and has not bobbled etc. I did the attic24 granny stripe.

BranchingOut Tue 19-Nov-13 11:36:56

Thanks, I agonised over different yarns for about ten minutes then bought a load of stylecraft!

Can't wait to get started. ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now